LoR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedAnes2017

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ERAS is already submitted, and as LoR get uploaded, I can assign them to programs. I have 2 questions though.

I have 5 LoR from: (I haven't seen the letter, but this is what I expect based on how well the faculties know me)

Psych - Very strong
Medicine - strong
Anesthesia #1 - strong
Anesthesia #2 - strong
Anesthesia chair - Generic

For anesthesia programs, I've been hearing mixed opinions from different people. Some say to use 2 anesthesia and 2 from other specialties (Chair + 1 anesthesia + psych + medicine) to show that you are well rounded. Some say to use 3 anesthesia (Chair + 2 anesthesia + psych OR medicine) because people won't care about non-anesthesia letters. Since I've been getting mixed opinions, I wanted to see what you guys think. Which combination of letters should I use?

Also, for medicine prelim, is Anesthesia chair letter required? Since the chair letter is probably the weakest in terms of content, I was thinking about sending psych, medicine, and 2 anesthesia letters, but again, I've heard from some people that prelim programs still want the ANESTHESIA chair letter... Could anyone verify this?

Thank you in advance guys!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a very strong letter, by all means you should use it because it can address intangibles like work ethic and teamwork ability. I would probably use the 2 anesthesia letters as well.

As for the chair, I understand your dilemma. Unlike IM or other specialties, I don't think a chair letter is absolutely required but name recognition can play a role. Probably a good idea to include it, but you don't have to.

Reactions: 1 user