LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gust

Peace be unto you.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ran into a PI I worked with and he began inquiring about my plans. I told him that I would be applying soon and he replied, very enthusiastically, "Let me know if you want me to submit a LOR for you!"

I feel that my contribution to his lab wasn't significant (although I performed my own experiments), but that's why I'm a bit hesitant to get a LOR from him. But the guy seems to like me a lot!

What would you do in this situation? Already I have all the LORs(5) I think I would need, do you think I should cap it off with this guys LOR?

Share some food for thought...thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you can always get the LOR and decide whether or not to submit it to schools later. Having an extra research letter can't hurt for researchy (i.e. top) schools.

If he wants to write for you, you should definitely have him do it. Not every rec needs to describe you as the second coming of Christ. A rec that's just "good" will not hurt you at all. Most recs don't make a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ran into a PI I worked with and he began inquiring about my plans. I told him that I would be applying soon and he replied, very enthusiastically, "Let me know if you want me to submit a LOR for you!"

I feel that my contribution to his lab wasn't significant (although I performed my own experiments), but that's why I'm a bit hesitant to get a LOR from him. But the guy seems to like me a lot!

What would you do in this situation? Already I have all the LORs(5) I think I would need, do you think I should cap it off with this guys LOR?

Share some food for thought...thanks.

He volunteered to write for you. Take it. He must think you're valuable even if you don't.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

ok sounds good. thanks everyone