LOR Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinacol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying this cycle, and I am kind of confused about the timing for LORs and how the whole process works.

First, does it matter when I ask for my LORs? I know to give my professors a lot of time to do it, but should I ask before or after the AMCAS application opens for this cycle (May 5th).

Also, how do I tell them to submit the letter? Will I just list them on my application and then AMCAS will contact them?

And my last question: who do I ask? I know four biology professors who will write outstanding letters for me, but should I ask professors in other disciplines (where the letter won't be as original)? I keep hearing about having two from sciences and one from another type of course, but is that an actual requirement? If so, where is it listed?

Thanks so much for answering these questions!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also applying this cycle. My advice would be ask NOW! ask tommorow. Get 2 letters or so from academic professors then 2 from employers/doctors, etc. Make an interfolio account and use them as the courier service. Its the easiest way to do it.

Now: ask
Now: write your personal statement
Now: make sure your transcript is ready to go... or hell, request it in a few weeks if your school is slow (my school took 2 weeks to even send it out).
NOW: You should have your MCAT scores ready to go, if not, you should have your MCAT registered to be taken
June: Fill in your primary application - submit it for grade auditing within the first 2 weeks