LoR snafu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akwho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My amazing 65+ year-old attending who was justifiably confused by the new online uploading process for LoR's ended uploading only 1 out of 2 parts of the LoR. As a result, part 1 (a supplemental evaluation required for my specialty), but not part 2 (the actual letter of recommendation) was uploaded. I sent clear directions on how to upload, and helped through email, but it still it wasn't quite enough. Now I've been contacted by several programs informing me my application is incomplete... I've assigned 4/4 LoR's for all the programs and need the actual LoR from my attending to get to the programs.

I'll reach out to ERAS tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experience dealing with this issue. Kind of a bummer with this new system our schools can't check to make sure the correct documents get sent out.

Members don't see this ad.

My amazing 65+ year-old attending who was justifiably confused by the new online uploading process for LoR's ended uploading only 1 out of 2 parts of the LoR. As a result, part 1 (a supplemental evaluation required for my specialty), but not part 2 (the actual letter of recommendation) was uploaded. I sent clear directions on how to upload, and helped through email, but it still it wasn't quite enough. Now I've been contacted by several programs informing me my application is incomplete... I've assigned 4/4 LoR's for all the programs and need the actual LoR from my attending to get to the programs.

I'll reach out to ERAS tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experience dealing with this issue. Kind of a bummer with this new system our schools can't check to make sure the correct documents get sent out.
Your amazing geriatric attending has the ability to reupload the letter, replacing the one that was incorrect. I'd recommend kindly asking him to do so, leaving out the snark. Does he have a secretary who can potentially help?

Given you've already assigned it, that's the only solution.

Reactions: 1 user
That's great to know. I'm in a similar situation with a non geriatric attending. Is there anything special they have to do, or can I tell the attending (respectfully) just to log in again and the option will be there?

That's great to know. I'm in a similar situation with a non geriatric attending. Is there anything special they have to do, or can I tell the attending (respectfully) just to log in again and the option will be there?
https://www.aamc.org/download/286098/data/lorp_ug.pdf is the user guide to the LOR portal.

https://www.aamc.org/services/eras/430268/lor-faq-authors.html has an FAQ page for uploaders.

To quote:

What do I do if I make a mistake?

Once a letter has been uploaded for an applicant, it cannot be edited. You may upload a revised version of the letter. Programs will see only the revised version, but you will see each version you have uploaded.

this is ortho? interesting that programs already contacting

Your amazing geriatric attending has the ability to reupload the letter, replacing the one that was incorrect. I'd recommend kindly asking him to do so, leaving out the snark. Does he have a secretary who can potentially help?

Given you've already assigned it, that's the only solution.

Thank you for the very helpful reply Raryn. I included age in the OP because I was trying to communicate the situation effectively. There is no snark intended, which is admittedly hard to tell on an internet post. I'm incredibly grateful for my attending's time to write and upload the letter, and I'm sad I will have to bother them again about the letter for me.