LOR submission question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ernie044

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a letter from a DPM and a professor ready to send. The other professor is on a trip and won't be back for a week. Should I just send the other ones off right now? Will I be able to get interviews without them? I am still waiting to be verified so I have a little bit of time, but I do want interviews asap.

Members don't see this ad.

I am strictly speaking from my own experience from last year:
There doesn't seem to be a hurry in getting LORs to the schools. It almost felt like it was just something they have to have from you so they can check the box and say they got them. I really don't know if they actually read them. I'm pretty sure they based ii solely on MCAT and GPA. Again, this is just my 0.02

Reactions: 1 users
Like PodZilla said, I would base my two cents on this logic: The schools just need to have two of the three before the interview so they can glance at them quickly. I think I saw your post earlier on another thread that you have already applied, so right now you are awaiting the interview invites. Do you have your MCAT scores yet? If so then really that is the more important statistic they need. In my opinion, I bet they could care less about having all three before the interview but would like to have at least one from the podiatrist and one from a professor before the interview.

I doubt that an interview acceptance varies whether they have all the LORs or not, unless you are a sub 3.0 student with an MCAT under 20. They want to get you interviewed as quickly as possible and most schools probably want you to be the 2nd or 3rd school you interview with so that they can lure you in quicker than not.

SIDE NOTE: One of the issues with MD, DO, Podiatry, and every other field of medicine is that the first month their application cycle begins is the longest it will take to get verified. I know last year, people who submitted their application on the first day of the cycle got verified just a day or two earlier than someone who finished their application on the 18th day of the cycle. For MD and DO school my classmates told me that people have everything ready on day 1 to submit. It really isn't the same with podiatry because not everybody has their MCAT in by the first week of August, while almost every med school applicant I know of has everything ready by the first week of June or had at least taken the MCAT by early June and are just a week or two behind. In the podiatry school application cycle, there isn't that much of a rush like there is for MD or DO school. Podiatry school application cycle is from early August to late April (and sometimes if there are candidates that get their DO or MD school rejections they apply to podiatry school in May and still get in). While MD or DO school their application cycle is strict and lasts from June to October, November. From what a friend told me there is a major difference in the chance of getting accepted to an MD or DO school if you apply on June 1st vs. July 1st, while for podiatry school they are essentially the same.

I am very opinionated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Like PodZilla said, I would base my two cents on this logic: The schools just need to have two of the three before the interview so they can glance at them quickly. I think I saw your post earlier on another thread that you have already applied, so right now you are awaiting the interview invites. Do you have your MCAT scores yet? If so then really that is the more important statistic they need. In my opinion, I bet they could care less about having all three before the interview but would like to have at least one from the podiatrist and one from a professor before the interview.

I doubt that an interview acceptance varies whether they have all the LORs or not, unless you are a sub 3.0 student with an MCAT under 20. They want to get you interviewed as quickly as possible and most schools probably want you to be the 2nd or 3rd school you interview with so that they can lure you in quicker than not.

SIDE NOTE: One of the issues with MD, DO, Podiatry, and every other field of medicine is that the first month their application cycle begins is the longest it will take to get verified. I know last year, people who submitted their application on the first day of the cycle got verified just a day or two earlier than someone who finished their application on the 18th day of the cycle. For MD and DO school my classmates told me that people have everything ready on day 1 to submit. It really isn't the same with podiatry because not everybody has their MCAT in by the first week of August, while almost every med school applicant I know of has everything ready by the first week of June or had at least taken the MCAT by early June and are just a week or two behind. In the podiatry school application cycle, there isn't that much of a rush like there is for MD or DO school. Podiatry school application cycle is from early August to late April (and sometimes if there are candidates that get their DO or MD school rejections they apply to podiatry school in May and still get in). While MD or DO school their application cycle is strict and lasts from June to October, November. From what a friend told me there is a major difference in the chance of getting accepted to an MD or DO school if you apply on June 1st vs. July 1st, while for podiatry school they are essentially the same.

I am very opinionated!
Thanks for your opinion. I will go ahead and send what I have in. I did get my mcat score, a 24, and am above a 3.4 so hopefully that will be alright. I know I am being too anxious about it all. I was one of those people who wanted all my stuff in the first day but ran in to complications. I also applied to all 9 schools....as you can see, I am pretty paranoid about wanting to get in :)

Oh then you are in the clear! I doubt you'll get rejected from anybody (and really AZPOD may be the only one that your scores aren't a shoe-in) so you could have saved the extra $200 and not apply to all 9, but again if $400 isn't that much money to you now then it wasn't a bad decision.
But eventually your biggest dilemma will be to pick 3 or 4 schools to interview at. That is when it would become costly and time consuming. Just realize that even if you get all 9 interview invites there is no way you should interview at more than 4 schools unless you are graduated and have a lot of money saved up.

Oh then you are in the clear! I doubt you'll get rejected from anybody (and really AZPOD may be the only one that your scores aren't a shoe-in) so you could have saved the extra $200 and not apply to all 9, but again if $400 isn't that much money to you now then it wasn't a bad decision.
But eventually your biggest dilemma will be to pick 3 or 4 schools to interview at. That is when it would become costly and time consuming. Just realize that even if you get all 9 interview invites there is no way you should interview at more than 4 schools unless you are graduated and have a lot of money saved up.
Yeah, I applied at all 9 because if there was a chance one of the schools I really want didn't like how I interviewed or something, I would have something to fall back on....I figured that $400 would be a small amount to me in the long run. I would really like to get into AZPOD or DMU because I have a family and costs are lower, but I hear they are kinda hard to get into because of small class sizes(also something that intrigues me). I know I probably can't miss that much school to go to all those interviews though, and that IS a lot of money. Do you know how long you have to give the school an answer if they accept you? Thanks for all your input. It has helped ease my mind while doing all the waiting. Your profile says you are pre-podiatry, what schools are you applying to and why? I am trying to do all the research I can, but everyone makes their school sound like it is best. I really don't know how I am going to narrow it down.

Don't take my word for it, but I remember seeing in another thread that you have like 3 to 4 weeks to respond. Obviously someone else on here should be able to answer that for you. I do think the idea of applying to all 9 is good if you have a good enough GPA like you because really the extra $200 by applying to your 5th to 9th schools is worth it if you somehow did get rejected from your top 3 or so schools...and with you your top 2 schools are considered the smallest class size schools.

You really shouldn't have any struggle getting into any school based on past students. I am applying to Kent State as my #1. I live in SE Michigan and I would like to attend a school closer to home so that if I do want to move back to Michigan after graduating/residency most of the podiatrists at the 4 closest hospitals to me are 80% Kent State/Ohio pod grads. My second choice is Barry because the podiatrist I know graduated from there back in the '90s and even though a lot has changed I believe him that it was a good school back then. Also, I like Florida. I don't even plan on applying to any school west of Scholl. Really I only plan on applying to Kent, Barry, Scholl, and Temple. And I personally would never want to go to New York because the school is in NYC and there is a reason their tuition is one of the lowest among the 9 schools: the cost of living is twice the amount as a regular city. I am not going to pay $20K a year just to rent a one person apartment that is the size of a dorm room all while paying $30K a year in tuition.

Don't take my word for it, but I remember seeing in another thread that you have like 3 to 4 weeks to respond. Obviously someone else on here should be able to answer that for you. I do think the idea of applying to all 9 is good if you have a good enough GPA like you because really the extra $200 by applying to your 5th to 9th schools is worth it if you somehow did get rejected from your top 3 or so schools...and with you your top 2 schools are considered the smallest class size schools.

You really shouldn't have any struggle getting into any school based on past students. I am applying to Kent State as my #1. I live in SE Michigan and I would like to attend a school closer to home so that if I do want to move back to Michigan after graduating/residency most of the podiatrists at the 4 closest hospitals to me are 80% Kent State/Ohio pod grads. My second choice is Barry because the podiatrist I know graduated from there back in the '90s and even though a lot has changed I believe him that it was a good school back then. Also, I like Florida. I don't even plan on applying to any school west of Scholl. Really I only plan on applying to Kent, Barry, Scholl, and Temple. And I personally would never want to go to New York because the school is in NYC and there is a reason their tuition is one of the lowest among the 9 schools: the cost of living is twice the amount as a regular city. I am not going to pay $20K a year just to rent a one person apartment that is the size of a dorm room all while paying $30K a year in tuition.
I definitely agree with you about the cost of living in New York. It's ridiculous how much money would be spent on housing. I can't imagine how much it would be to get an apartment with my wife and two kids. I have been nervous about Barry just because it seems like everybody (on this forum at least) bashes on it for some reason, but I don't have any personal experience or know anybody that went their, so I might do the interview just to find out what it is like for myself. I got 4 interview invites today so hopefully they go well! or at least one of them!

Yeah, I applied at all 9 because if there was a chance one of the schools I really want didn't like how I interviewed or something, I would have something to fall back on....I figured that $400 would be a small amount to me in the long run. I would really like to get into AZPOD or DMU because I have a family and costs are lower, but I hear they are kinda hard to get into because of small class sizes(also something that intrigues me). I know I probably can't miss that much school to go to all those interviews though, and that IS a lot of money. Do you know how long you have to give the school an answer if they accept you? Thanks for all your input. It has helped ease my mind while doing all the waiting. Your profile says you are pre-podiatry, what schools are you applying to and why? I am trying to do all the research I can, but everyone makes their school sound like it is best. I really don't know how I am going to narrow it down.

You usually have 4 weeks to send in your seat deposit. FYI: DMU is a very family-friendly campus; you'll often see spouses and children during the lunch hour. And as far as the negative comments Barry has been getting on here: just remember that SDN is not a good representation of the podiatry world, so please take everything you see on this forum with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user