LOR thank you notes/gifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTLove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I've been trying to find some advice on when to give thank you notes to your LOR writers, what gift is appropriate, etc. and haven't been able to find a consensus. With my situation, I sent quick thank you notes when I was asking for the LORs, and wanted to wait until I received my decisions to send a more formal, handwritten note.
Unfortunately I was wait-listed, so I'm not quite sure how to put in the letter that I will be re-applying next year and will probably need another reference!! :confused::confused: And if I should gift them a small gift card as a token of my appreciation for this past year?

If anyone has any advice or experience with this I would so greatly appreciate it!! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

When I asked for my letters, I thanked the person when they agreed to write it and then when I received it. I did it via email. I would suggest you leave it at that. If you don't get in this year, I would periodically drop them an email throughout the year to just keep in touch.

Last edited:
I just thanked them in email left it at that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied two years and felt a little uncomfortable asking them to print and sign letters a 2nd year. I shouldn't have been so worried though because everyone was super supportive and reminded me reapplying is often part of getting into graduate school.
Last year I sent each of them a thank you card by mail telling them how much appreciate their writing my letter, their mentorship and continued support.

Hi Everyone!

I've been trying to find some advice on when to give thank you notes to your LOR writers, what gift is appropriate, etc. and haven't been able to find a consensus. With my situation, I sent quick thank you notes when I was asking for the LORs, and wanted to wait until I received my decisions to send a more formal, handwritten note.
Unfortunately I was wait-listed, so I'm not quite sure how to put in the letter that I will be re-applying next year and will probably need another reference!! :confused::confused: And if I should gift them a small gift card as a token of my appreciation for this past year?

If anyone has any advice or experience with this I would so greatly appreciate it!! Thank you!

I gave one of mine some homemade hard cider and butter and sent the others chocolates for holiday gifts a few months after they wrote my letters. I think gift cards would be in an inappropriate gift, it seems too much like cash. A hand written note would be a sweet gesture and completely sufficient.