LOR to each school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When we submit the primary AMCAS application, letters of recommendation will be attached to the application at this time. If secondaries from specific schools require letters, do we just send the letters from our application to the schools from AMCAS? I'm just trying to figure out this workflow in my head.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no dentist, however, I'm pretty sure there are no letters of rec required for secondaries

When we submit the primary AMCAS application, letters of recommendation will be attached to the application at this time. If secondaries from specific schools require letters, do we just send the letters from our application to the schools from AMCAS? I'm just trying to figure out this workflow in my head.

Thanks!

If you don't meet the letter requirements for some schools, you can have additional letters uploaded to your AMCAS and have them released to specific schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can upload a maximum of 10 letters of rec to AMCAS if you so desire. You can then choose (through AMCAS) which schools receive which letters. Some schools require just a couple letters, while others require more, and still other schools have very specific requirements so you may send a particular letter to only 1 school. It is very easy to manage within AMCAS.

EDIT: All of your letters will be handled through AMCAS, so you should not be "mailing" anything to individual schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You can upload a maximum of 10 letters of rec to AMCAS if you so desire. You can then choose (through AMCAS) which schools receive which letters. Some schools require just a couple letters, while others require more, and still other schools have very specific requirements so you may send a particular letter to only 1 school. It is very easy to manage within AMCAS.

EDIT: All of your letters will be handled through AMCAS, so you should not be "mailing" anything to individual schools.

Thanks for the helpful reply! Is this all managed when I submit the primary app? Or is letter submission taken care of later on when secondaries are submitted?

Thanks for the helpful reply! Is this all managed when I submit the primary app? Or is letter submission taken care of later on when secondaries are submitted?
It is managed through the primary app system, AMCAS, but you don't have to submit them to each school until your secondaries are done. The secondaries are not handled through AMCAS; instead, each school will send you a link to a portal that is managed by them where you will submit your essays.

It is managed through the primary app system, AMCAS, but you don't have to submit them to each school until your secondaries are done. The secondaries are not handled through AMCAS; instead, each school will send you a link to a portal that is managed by them where you will submit your essays.

Thanks for the quick reply! Last question- so letters submitted with the primary (or attached later) are just held in AMCAS until time for submission with secondaries?

Thanks for the quick reply! Last question- so letters submitted with the primary (or attached later) are just held in AMCAS until time for submission with secondaries?
Correct, although you don't have to wait to submit them at the same time as your secondaries. You can just select the schools you want a letter to go to at the same time the letter is added to AMCAS. Or you can go back in later and send it to more schools.

I would imagine most of this info is available on the AAMC website if you want to know more.