LOR Writer Delayed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Your User Name Here

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question:

I am working on apps and 1 of my LOR writers has informed me that they will not be able to get my LOR in until "the 18th, at least". They are a research vet and their LOR will be the strongest of the three I am using this year. They are also very busy traveling to and from conferences, so I understand why they are delayed.

Problem is, that's late. A few days beyond the deadline of the 15th.

Will this be a problem? A small one? A big one? A fatal one?

I just got this news and I am asking here first. (I will be emailing schools, but I don't expect a response or a few days (weekend), and I have got conflicting information from them before...) I figured you guys would probably be able to give the straightest answer.

TY

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow-up:

So can I submit a "placeholder" LOR, and replace it with this one a week later?

If it's the same as last year, once a LOR is submitted, it can't be deleted.

Also, call VMCAS, but I'm pretty sure LORs can't be submitted through them after the deadline. It'll be up to the schools whether they accept a late letter, and I'm pretty sure most won't. Especially when it's purposefully being submitted late and not an error in the system, etc.

If it don't have three letters, get someone ASAP or try to get this vet to submit before the deadline.

Reactions: 1 users
We had someone last cycle with a late evaluation. They had to contact school individually to see if they would still accept their application though it was incomplete in VMCAS. I would start doing that as well as calling VMCAS.

We had someone last cycle with a late evaluation. They had to contact school individually to see if they would still accept their application though it was incomplete in VMCAS. I would start doing that as well as calling VMCAS.
@LyraGardenia I think!

Yup, the link Rocky posted is my thread about it! Everyone else pretty much covered it, it's up to the schools whether or not they'll accept the late LOR, and there isn't a way to submit it through VMCAS after the deadline. For what it's worth, Mizzou and Illinois don't accept late LORs under any circumstances. K State, SGU and Midwestern were willing to accept it emailed to them, but they may have been more sympathetic because my evaluator tried to submit on time, but there was a glitch with the website. I would ask your evaluator if there's ANY way possible they could submit on time, or try to find someone else to write one last-minute. Unfortunately it's partly on you to give your evaluators plenty of notice and stress the importance of the deadline.

Reactions: 1 users