Lor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I was thinking about applying to both med schools and graduate schools. I am interested in both and I want to have a backup plan in case I don't get into med school (low GPA) I have asked teachers for letters that can be sent to the premed office. I was wondering if anyone has ever used the letters written for med school in applying to other schools. I don't know how it would work but do you think it would be too much to ask the office?

Members don't see this ad.

if your teachers recommended you to medical school, grad schools might not like that

kristy117 said:
I was thinking about applying to both med schools and graduate schools. I am interested in both and I want to have a backup plan in case I don't get into med school (low GPA) I have asked teachers for letters that can be sent to the premed office. I was wondering if anyone has ever used the letters written for med school in applying to other schools. I don't know how it would work but do you think it would be too much to ask the office?
When I didn't get into med school last year, I immediately applied to several grad schools and was accepted to all of them. And yes, I sent in the same LORs that I used for med school to support my grad school applications.

Also, if you can get your letters uploaded to a LOR service like Interfolio, that will significantly reduce any complications that may arise concerning your LORs and future dealings with your premed office.

Members don't see this ad :)
madonna said:
if your teachers recommended you to medical school, grad schools might not like that
Good point. Did you ask for a LOR specifically for med school or just in general for future references? That's what I had done. I made no mention of med school to my professors.

Can you have your premed advisor review those letters or perhaps ask your teachers if their letters specifically discussed your qualifications for med school?

the negative 1 said:
Good point. Did you ask for a LOR specifically for med school or just in general for future references? That's what I had done. I made no mention of med school to my professors.

Can you have your premed advisor review those letters or perhaps ask your teachers if their letters specifically discussed your qualifications for med school?

hm..thats very true...well considering I gave the form to them from the premed advising office I'm guessing they might mention it. Actually I only gave one but I have spoken with 2 other teachers who are willing to do it. How do grad applicants usually go about sending out their letters?

kristy117 said:
hm..thats very true...well considering I gave the form to them from the premed advising office I'm guessing they might mention it. Actually I only gave one but I have spoken with 2 other teachers who are willing to do it. How do grad applicants usually go about sending out their letters?
I used Interfolio to compile all my LORs so that I could send them out without complications and without having to deal with my awful premed office.

Btw, are you at U Maryland College Park?

the negative 1 said:
I used Interfolio to compile all my LORs so that I could send them out without complications and without having to deal with my awful premed office.

Btw, are you at U Maryland College Park?

yes, yes i am.

kristy117 said:
yes, yes i am.
Just curious. I'm a grad student at UM Baltimore, but I got no love from their medical school this year. :(

the negative 1 said:
Just curious. I'm a grad student at UM Baltimore, but I got no love from their medical school this year. :(

oh interesting..I was actually looking at the micro/immunology program at UM Baltimore earlier. Which one are you in?

kristy117 said:
oh interesting..I was actually looking at the micro/immunology program at UM Baltimore earlier. Which one are you in?
Epidemiology. An excellent program that includes some of the leading experts in the field. Don't know much about the micro/immunology program though.

Edit: I'm actually studying for a final tomorrow, but of course I'm wasting my time on SDN. ;)

the negative 1 said:
Epidemiology. An excellent program that includes some of the leading experts in the field. Don't know much about the micro/immunology program though.

Edit: I'm actually studying for a final tomorrow, but of course I'm wasting my time on SDN. ;)

Hah..yeah I have one on Thursday in my Microbial Genetics class. I have the material in front of me but of course I keep checking the same sites I always do..

kristy117 said:
Hah..yeah I have one on Thursday in my Microbial Genetics class. I have the material in front of me but of course I keep checking the same sites I always do..
I can't concentrate at all right now. I got my first acceptance today and I've been too giddy to focus my attention on anything.