Lor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovefeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked my professor for a LOR, and he asked me what I wanted him to focus on in the letter. So my question is, what is in a good rec letter for podiatry?

All suggestions are appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this since I have no clue what my professors wrote. Well my guess is... shouldn't they write about what they think about you and what good personal characteristics you have to be a good podiatrist?

And did you hand them a copy of your resume and personal statement? Always give those things to people who are writing you rec letters.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll give him my resume. He's asking for each school's info, so I think he might tailor it to each individual school.

Did you apply this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you need to give him your CV/resume. If you don't have a strong relationship with the teacher then I would highly suggest giving them the personal statement. Your personal statement is your journey as to why you are going into medicine and professors can take the information from that and put into the letter. I scheduled 15 minutes with each teacher so they could get to know me better and I even told them what qualities I have that make me an outstanding candidate for podiatry school. So basically all of them were writing their letters with the same base. It makes you stand out as a candidate if your qualities are shown in your personal statement, your LOR's, and your personality during the interview.

These letters can make or break your application!

I would recommend asking him to consider: your work ethic in class, your performance in the classes, his/her opinion of you going into healthcare.

I like the recommendation of meeting with them for a while so they can kind of interview you. That is what I did for my letters. My professors asked for a 10-15 minute meeting where they asked me a few questions about why I wanted to go into healthcare, my interest in podiatry specifically, etc. I think this gives them more to work with when writing their letters. I would at least consider offering them the option to meet with you if they think that would help them write your letters.

Best of luck! :thumbup:

I would recommend asking him to consider: your work ethic in class, your performance in the classes, his/her opinion of you going into healthcare.

I like the recommendation of meeting with them for a while so they can kind of interview you. That is what I did for my letters. My professors asked for a 10-15 minute meeting where they asked me a few questions about why I wanted to go into healthcare, my interest in podiatry specifically, etc. I think this gives them more to work with when writing their letters. I would at least consider offering them the option to meet with you if they think that would help them write your letters.

Best of luck! :thumbup:

I really like that. :thumbup::thumbup:

I just recently took the final, and since it was a small classroom, I was able to participate in class discussions everyday. I'm def going to take everything you guys are saying into consideration. Thanks a bunch :)

are you all applying this cycle?

What should your resume consist of?

What should your resume consist of?

I didn't attach a resume, I wrote small paragraphs about why I wanted to pursue science and podiatry. I asked him to comment on my work ethic in the course, and the other stuff that PACPOD suggested (look above). Hope that helps.

OHH, and because he is writing my letter and tailoring it to each school, I wrote why I wanted to go to each one. (all 9).

My mom is a professor at a CC and has written many of them over the years. PM me I can send a redacted sample of one of hers, it looks pretty good. It focuses in on maturity, leading the lab group, helping others in the class

I feel as if unless the teacher is in her/his first year as a professor then they should understand exactly what you should write in a Letter of Recommendation. They should know 1) not to lie 2) not to make the student look bad 3) Do #2 without doing #1

But yeah, in my mind every teacher should understand to mention:
#1) Work ethic in their class
#2) Responsibility throughout the class, ability to turn in assignments on time (if you do even have HW assignments, which I never had in undergrad but again every teacher is different)
#3) Ability to ask teacher for help, which shows their concern for their academics
#4) How well the professor believes you will benefit their DPM program and overall the healthcare

But maybe the teacher is just asking you this to see if you actually understand what a Letter of Recommendation should have. Maybe they want to make sure you care enough about what should be in the letter because if you just ask them to write one yet you have no clue what should be on one then why write it for a student who doesn't care. But hopefully that is not you.

Hopefully you had a strong academic relationship with this professor not just asking a teacher that you got a 4.0 in that class and you rarely saw them. A teacher that actually knows you will easily be able to write one for you.

For example, I am going to ask my Calc 1&2 professor to write me one. Not just b/c I got a 4.0 for both semesters, but because I was one of the students that would ask her questions and even eat lunch with her and my TA because she was the nicest lady ever. I am not asking her ONLY b/c of my grade in her classes, but also because she knows me. Even three semesters after last having her as a teacher I still stop in to talk to her. I am not going to ask my Orgo 2 professor for one despite getting a 4.0 in his class and a 4.0 in his lab because I never once talked to the guy (since the lab was TA taught). Just b/c I got a good grade in the class doesn't mean I would ask him for a LOR. If you don't personally know the teacher then he would write a few sentences about how you got a 4.0 in the class, but wouldn't mention how you seek more help.

I would rather get a LOR from a teacher that I got a 3.0, but always sought more help from and showed you cared about the class than one from a teacher you got a 4.0 in but never sought their help.

Just my 2 cents on Letters of Recommendations.