LORs for Allo programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apoplexy__

Blood-and-thunder appearance
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question for those on or having completed the interview trail:

In multiple resources I've read, they say not to get LORs from "random" people. That is, you don't want a LOR from a private practice doc or a "random" research PD who nobody has any connection to. People generally advise to try and get LORs from clinical faculty and chairmen of institutions who have big names and influences.

Obviously, however, that's not very easy for us DOs without home institutions. I'm sure a lot of us spend most of our rotations in a private practice/outpatient setting to begin with.

To those DOs who interviewed at Allo programs, how were your LORs viewed (any problems?)? If you had amazing LORs, how did you obtain them?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users

In multiple resources I've read, they say not to get LORs from "random" people. That is, you don't want a LOR from a private practice doc or a "random" research PD who nobody has any connection to. People generally advise to try and get LORs from clinical faculty and chairmen of institutions who have big names and influences.

Obviously, however, that's not very easy for us DOs without home institutions. I'm sure a lot of us spend most of our rotations in a private practice/outpatient setting to begin with.

To those DOs who interviewed at Allo programs, how were your LORs viewed (any problems?)? If you had amazing LORs, how did you obtain them?

Why is this the case? It is ABSOLUTELY possible to get a good LOR as a DO. You can definitely get a LOR or 2 from your private practice doc or community doc as long as they make you sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Do an away your 3rd year (if possible) and frontload all of your 4th yr electives so that you can do away rotations at big institutions. Get LORs from the top guys/girls of the program. It is definitely possible you just have to plan it properly and work hard.

Source: MS4 with 2 really good LORs from community docs, and 2 really good LORs from Directors/Chairmen of my field.

also - on one of my interviews they commented on one of my LOR writers because he is renowned in his field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this the case? It is ABSOLUTELY possible to get a good LOR as a DO. You can definitely get a LOR or 2 from your private practice doc or community doc as long as they make you sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Do an away your 3rd year (if possible) and frontload all of your 4th yr electives so that you can do away rotations at big institutions. Get LORs from the top guys/girls of the program. It is definitely possible you just have to plan it properly and work hard.

Source: MS4 with 2 really good LORs from community docs, and 2 really good LORs from Directors/Chairmen of my field.

also - on one of my interviews they commented on one of my LOR writers because he is renowned in his field.

I think the point kirbymiester is making is that since DO students don't generally do core rotations at some ACGME academic center, the way most MDs do, they don't automatically have access to a PD or someone distinguished in the field with respect to the views of ACGME programs the way that MDs do. It's certainly possible to get, but just harder because you have to go out of your way for it.

Also, not all schools have electives in 3rd year, and not all schedule 4th year electives in the same way. It also varies by school where you can do things like electives and selectives. My school may have 2 electives in 3rd year, but they also assign you an immovable rotation schedule for 3rd and 4th year when you're in the middle of 2nd year. As such, I have very little control as to when my electives are. I can only do my cores at my regional site. I have 2 electives I can do anywhere next year, but it's tough to find non-affiliates that will take a 3rd year. I also don't have many electives in the beginning (i.e. before residency apps in Sept) of 4th year.

I found OP's statements reasonable. It's going to take a decent amount of work, cold-calling, and calling in favors to get the exposure I need for "high profile" LORs. It's doable, just more than my MD counterparts who do their cores at major academic centers.

I'm still interested in OP's questions and have some of my own. How were the LORs from community hospitals and DOs viewed? Did you just work hard to get electives at major ACGME programs? How did you convince them to take you if you had to in 3rd year? Is it a problem to have apps in before you have LORs from high profile places, even if you will get them say during interview season?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Before I start, let me preface this by stating that I am applying FM, so the LOR standard may be different. But I'm not certain it is for some/most specialties.

I got 3 "private practice" LOR's for my ERAS this year. All from docs I rotated with. I haven't read them, but every single interview I've been on I've recieved comments from interviewers that my letters were particularly strong. One interviewer even said that one of my letters was the strongest he'd ever seen. So I don't think my lack of academic letters has hurt me.

That being said, in FM residency community/unnopposed programs are where it's at. My top choices were all community programs where there are no other residencies in house. Maybe having private practice docs, who practice the way the residents will be trained to practice, is a desirable thing?

I did apply to three "academic" centers, where I did not get interviews; but they were at very competitive schools in (what I would consider) desirable locations; and I'm a DO applicant so im sure that didn't help either.

At one of these places, the roster is currently filled with people from Stanford, UCLA, WashU, UDub, etc. my chances were always probably slim to none there regardless of LOR status. Another one of the academic centers was UofA, and I did get an interview to their South Campus, just not the main University Hospital.

At the end of the day I'm OK with not interviewing at these places because all of them are heavily opposed. This meaning I'd be competing against Peds residents for access to good pediatrics cases, surgery residents for OR time, OB residents for deliveries, and IM residents for the best wards cases and procedures. Good FM training really requires some skill in all of these areas, so having unfettered access is a huge plus. In FM, the most desirable places are generally those with only FM residents around.

Also, I did get interviews at some other university/university affiliated programs that look quite strong to me on paper. Including Texas A&M, UTSW, IU-Ball Memorial, UC-Swedish, etc. these were either unnopposed or minimally opposed.

At the end of the day, I've interviewed/will interview in the most desirable residencies in my target areas. My #1 choice about half way through interviews is a community hospital where one of my LOR writers works and trains residents. My #2 (and it's very close to being #1) is another hospital in the same company and the place where one of my LOR writers was a recent Cheif Resident and resident teaching award winner. These places have the strongest training I've seen so far.

So my advice is this: rather than taking the advice to get PD, Chair, and Academic letters as universal; look at what's specifically desired in the particular field you will apply in. The recommended/advised type of letter may be more flexible.

Also, never underestimate the power of a letter from a grad of the program, especially if the grad was a superstar. I don't think having a letter from a community doc who was the Cheif resident a few years back will ever be a bad thing. And these are the types of people who can go to bat for you at rank time.

In short, I don't think it's as cut and dry as some folks would like to believe.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the great replies everyone. Sounds like the advice boils down to:
-Community doc LORs aren't the end of the world, particularly if they're linked to the institution you're applying to
-Chairmen/PD LORs can be obtained by doing away rotations during electives

Sounds like I may as well do one of my 3rd year electives as an away even though it won't be in my field of interest, just to get that LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the great replies everyone. Sounds like the advice boils down to:
-Community doc LORs aren't the end of the world, particularly if they're linked to the institution you're applying to
-Chairmen/PD LORs can be obtained by doing away rotations during electives

Sounds like I may as well do one of my 3rd year electives as an away even though it won't be in my field of interest, just to get that LOR.

I agree with the FM applicant. But that's a very unique situation. They practically give away FM spots and LORs don't matter as much as when you apply to competitive specialties.

I agree with the FM applicant. But that's a very unique situation. They practically give away FM spots and LORs don't matter as much as when you apply to competitive specialties.

True on the whole; but the better FM programs are still relatively competitive; if only from a sheer number of applications perspective.

One place I interviewed at got >1,500 apps for 8 positions. They interview one applicant at a time. Your average chances of interviewing, much less matching there are not great.

True on the whole; but the better FM programs are still relatively competitive; if only from a sheer number of applications perspective.

One place I interviewed at got >1,500 apps for 8 positions. They interview one applicant at a time. Your average chances of interviewing, much less matching there are not great.

But I bet you the students that matched all had LORs from faculty.

But I bet you the students that matched all had LORs from faculty.

Well I interviewed there this season, with no faculty letters; and they're recruiting me pretty hard right now (I hear from the program multiple times per week) so...

Well I interviewed there this season, with no faculty letters; and they're recruiting me pretty hard right now (I hear from the program multiple times per week) so...

Oh, I thought you said it was a big academic program

Another source of allopathic / academic LORs is from research mentors. Two of my four letters are from docs with whom I spent many months working on clinical projects, so they knew me better than any attending I rotated under on a clinical service. They were also both very well known in the field and from top academic centers, and I've had a few PDs / chairs comment during interviews that they knew my letter writers personally or had worked with them in the past.

It's impossible for us to know how much this can help or if it's just a thin veneer of icing on the thick dry cake that is board scores. One thing I didn't consider much until the end of 3rd year is that you want letters appropriate to your field of choice. I applied for anesthesia so I did three of those and one chair of surgery. You guys are right that DO students have to work a lot harder to get awesome letters but you just have to bend over and accept your disadvantages and work harder, complain less.

They practically give away FM spots

Not even close to true in some of the better programs and there are plenty of them (not academic powerhouse type places either).

I had 3 letters. All were MDs from community hospitals associated with university programs. They were "nobodies," I suppose. No one seemed to care during the interview trail. Maybe I would have gotten more interviews if I had better letters, but it's not a deal breaker or anything. I applied to 60ish anesthesia programs and got 40ish interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
I had 3 letters. All were MDs from community hospitals associated with university programs. They were "nobodies," I suppose. No one seemed to care during the interview trail. Maybe I would have gotten more interviews if I had better letters, but it's not a deal breaker or anything. I applied to 60ish anesthesia programs and got 40ish interviews.

Wow, awesome. Thanks for sharing.