LOR's for Med School but a NURSE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I didnt even realize this part of studentdoctor.net existed.. i guess i never scrolled down far enough.. hahahaa :laugh:

Anyway.. I have to tell you it is so encouraging to hear that people have and are going through the same process as myself...

I am currently working as a Cardiac ICU Nurse.. I just took my MCAT and finished all of my pre-med requirements about 4 years ago.. I am a little concerned though about where to get letter of recommendations from.. Do I just track down my old science professors.. (i took my premed classes before my prenursing ones.. so they are at least 5 years old) One RN told me that when she applies to med school.. shes going to get a letter from the Dean of her nursing school... I wonder about doing that.. and what if the Dean denies my request? I mean it would be wierd for the Dean of a Nursing school to write a recc letter for a nurse to leave the profession in the middle of a nursing crisis...

Any feedback/suggestions/advice would be tremendously appreciated.. Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey ya-
You are in a great spot for kickin' lors. Isn't there an attending or 10 that you could hit up? Think of the folks w/whom you get along and who know your talent. Let physicians know your plans. They likely want you on the team.

All of my letters came from docs w/ whom I worked. If this is an academic institution even better. Those guys could give you a leg up.

You are leaving nursing. Concentrate on physician and science prof. letters.

I just reread your post. Is your MCAT still usable? Ya might wanna check the AMCAS site to confirm dates.

Would your profs. remember you? An office hour visit or email would answer a lot of those kinds of questions.

If you didn't smoke those classes, you might consider a retake. I got a lot of mileage out of compressed summertime courses.

I'm a couple of years out of the app. loop. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll pile on late. If you work in a CCU, there should be several cardiologists that would be happy to give you a letter of recommendation. Look at who you work well with, ask them for a letter, and I'll bet they'd be more than happy to help you in your career change.

I agree... you are switching from nursing to medicine so you should focus on medical letters. If you've worked in your area for a while there should be several physicians who know you very well - even better if it's an academic institution.

for me, I used one nursing professor because I did a lot of research with her over the years. In addition I had letters written by one surgeon and one intensivist. It seemed to work because I've been accepted :D