LORs from aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derm191

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently on an away and it is straight up just shadowing. We have EMR access but aren't allowed to put in notes. Everyone seems friendly and willing to teach and answer questions so at least there's that. I was hoping to get a LOR here but I'm not exactly sure what it would say (i.e. he was a good shadow :shrug:). I'll have to see how it plays out in the coming weeks but is it worth it to ask for an LOR in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently on an away and it is straight up just shadowing. We have EMR access but aren't allowed to put in notes. Everyone seems friendly and willing to teach and answer questions so at least there's that. I was hoping to get a LOR here but I'm not exactly sure what it would say (i.e. he was a good shadow :shrug:). I'll have to see how it plays out in the coming weeks but is it worth it to ask for an LOR in this situation?
All of my med student derm rotations were almost all shadowing. Maybe try to write a case report/help out on a publication with one of the faculty to stand out. Otherwise being polite, asking the right amount of questions, and showing an interest should get you a good letter.

they may also have you write your own letter, which is pretty common for people on aways

Members don't see this ad :)
All of my med student derm rotations were almost all shadowing. Maybe try to write a case report/help out on a publication with one of the faculty to stand out. Otherwise being polite, asking the right amount of questions, and showing an interest should get you a good letter.

It must be very subjective. I don't know if it's always like that (shadowing). I must have gotten lucky because the derm I rotated with let me do tons of shaves, d & c, and punches. You weren't allowed to do these things?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It must be very subjective. I don't know if it's always like that (shadowing). I must have gotten lucky because the derm I rotated with let me do tons of shaves, d & c, and punches. You weren't allowed to do these things?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you are doing a D&C in Dermatology, you may want to invest heavily in some major malpractice insurance . . .

Reactions: 2 users