LOR's from PI's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched a lot and though I've found a bit of info, I haven't found enough, so I decided to make a thread.

A lot of MD/PhD programs require letters from multiple PI's (from multiple research experiences?). How are you supposed to get these if you've worked in one lab for your entire undergrad? I've worked in mine since freshman year, and though I could get letters from professors who I've presented to and who know me very well, I've only ever worked for one PI.

Would this count against me? Some programs specifically ask for at least 2 :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have answered your own question. Clearly, you won't be able to have a letter from two PIs ...

Instead, maybe get one from a post-doc in your lab, or a prof from whom you took a research-related class, or a department director or research director. What they want is two people, each with her or her own perspective on your research.

Personally, I have the opposite problem, and I am stretching the rules a bit. I have worked for five PIs, and even though some schools ask for a letter from all, I'm only submitting 3 or 4, because I think that will provide a complete and compelling picture of me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's an example of what I mean:

"A minimum of two letters of recommendation are required from research related faculty."

http://mstp.ucsd.edu/apply/Pages/default.aspx

You're going to get your best answer by contacting the schools that require two letters and asking them directly...

Are you applying this cycle? If not, find another lab to work in this year.

I'm applying next cycle, but I'm still going to be in the same lab up until after I send in applications (in a special program) - so I won't get to work in a different lab. However, I'll look into contacting schools.

JustForPretend - by perspective, do you mean they know what your research is about and they know you as a person?

thanks for the replies

I'm applying next cycle, but I'm still going to be in the same lab up until after I send in applications (in a special program) - so I won't get to work in a different lab. However, I'll look into contacting schools

Contacting schools is good, but I still don't see why you wouldn't consider finding another lab to get experience in? Perhaps your special program has restrictions? If so, if you're in an area with multiple academic medical centers, you might consider going outside your university to find another lab.

Alternatively, consider asking your PI if there is another faculty member in the department you could collaborate with on an independent project. This could give you another option for a LOR without needing to join another lab.