LORs: Non-trad EM applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanatopsis

Curious
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm an active duty military, TY-trained DO who couldn't decide on a specialty while an intern so then began chipping away at a four year active duty obligation by working as a military general practitioner, or GMO as we're called, while considering my options further. Emergency medicine makes the most sense for me, so I'll be submitting an application to civilian programs for the upcoming cycle. It turns out that my obligation will complete in time to start a hypothetical residency in summer 2017.

Currently, I have two letters from IM physicians, one who worked with me during my internship and one who is a recent boss (personnel shift fairly frequently in the military). They will be solid letters. Since I came to the conclusion that EM is for me only within the last six months and current circumstances prevent me from being near an ED, I'm going to have a hard time obtaining a letter from an EM physician prior to September 1, which is ideally when I'd like to submit my application. Also ideal would be having a SLOE (SLOR?), but I'm not sure if any of the .mil EM residency programs would take me on for 5 or so days in order to help me out with a SLOE. My questions:

1) Are SLOEs a vital part of the EM application process i.e. am I sunk if I apply without at least one? If it helps you get a better picture, my medical school grades were top third and my USMLE scores are good, but I have no research or publications. I'm adjunct faculty at a community college and have taught the NREMT EMT-B course. I'm an AHA ACLS instructor.

2) Would a non-SLOE letter or two from EM physicians be an acceptable substitute for a lack of a SLOE?

3) How important is it for me to get that application in on September 1? If it's not vitally important, I may be able to work with military programs to secure the aforementioned experience and possibly have a SLOE in by late September.

Thanks for any time taken in considering my special case!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Are SLOEs a vital part of the EM application process i.e. am I sunk if I apply without at least one?
It is essential, non-negotiable if you want to match.

2) Would a non-SLOE letter or two from EM physicians be an acceptable substitute for a lack of a SLOE?
No

3) How important is it for me to get that application in on September 1? If it's not vitally important, I may be able to work with military programs to secure the aforementioned experience and possibly have a SLOE in by late September.
As a DO applying MD, you need to play the game right and that means applying the day stuff opens to maximize your options. The later you push stuff off, the less interviews you will receive. Its just like medical school all over, you can apply later, or with an incomplete application but it will hurt you in the long run.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Petypet! I'll be fighting for SLOEs then.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your app is very different than the typical med student. Some programs may give you a pass on a sloe. Not sure how you'd even be able to get one.

You do need letters from em docs for sure.
A bunch of the philly programs have taken applicants with your background.

Make sure you apply there if interested.
Temple and drexel in particular.

Can you do an audition rotation when you are home for a break on the main land or with a military EM program (I realize this might be easier said then done)?

A sloe may not be necessary in your case if your application properly spins all of your experience.

That being said, GET A SLOE.

You will definitely need to justify why Emergency Medicine and so at a minimum, you need to:

1. demonstrate how you know it's the right field for you. This must be more than "I loved the EM doctor who took care of my father." It should be several rotations.

2. Then demonstrate why you're going to be good at it. This is also why emergency physicians MUST be the ones to write the recommendations. They have to say you're good. You can bring in your other medical training when you sell yourself in your statement too.

Feel free to pm me.

Sent from my SM-G920T using SDN mobile

Thank you all for your help!

gman: That's good to know. I think Philly would be a great place to train!

Nerdy: That's my plan right now. I'll take leave for 1-2 weeks and work with a program that might be willing to host me.

Parallax: Must get SLOE! I'm currently cold calling military and military-affiliated residency coordinators and asking if I can do an abbreviated rotation. Unfortunately, since I'm leaving the military, they don't have much of an incentive to help me out (which is understandable). What may work in my favor is that the military matches earlier than the civilian world, so military medical students should already have submitted their match applications by the time that I will be available to rotate, hopefully freeing up more space in the ED for rotations.

I'd love to do this at a civilian program, but from what I've gathered in the past that course of action is complicated by the fact that my malpractice coverage only extends to DoD facilities. I think hospitals require every rotater to have coverage.

Last edited:
What do you mean by USMLE scores are "good". Good is relative to who is saying it. a 215 may be good to someone and be terrible to another person. I think knowing your step score will help, especially since I think program directors will want to know how you stack against the competition and if you can be trusted on to pass the inservice and your boards. Also, they seem to be important in the decision making process for non-trad students (had a friend with similar experience). I think that your active duty experience will serve as a positive and people will like that about your app. Best of luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, IH8!

And you're right: a "good" score is relative. I meant that most people would look at my application and think "Hey, that's a good score".