LOR's two years in advance? Interfolio? (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aledwards93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my situation is this: I will be a junior next semester, however I will not be applying to medical schools until the summer after my senior year (approx. two years from now.) Last semester I had an O chem professor agree to write me a letter, and this summer I got an attending to agree to write me a letter.

So my question is this: should I tell them to just write the letter now (whenever they feel like it) instead of waiting over a year?

I feel like if I wait until 1.5 years from now to remind them about the letter it may be too long for them to remember me as well as they do now.. Plus I would like to get it out of the way so I am comfortable that the letters are in the bag..

On the other hand, people have said that some schools will not accept letters that are this old.. is this true? If so can I find a list of schools somewhere? Also, how will the whole AMCAS ID work? On interfolio is there a way to add it to the letters later on when I get an ID? (but before I send them out of course.)

I would appreciate info from people who have used interfolio for their own letters and also from anyone who used letters that are as old as mine (1.5- 2 years.)

I just want to make sure I am not shooting my self in the foot by trusting a third party sight to handle my letters (seeing that AMCAS has many strict rules.)

Sorry about the long post and thanks for reading! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can append your AMCAS ID onto the letters. It's an option in Interfolio, right before you click "submit" to order and send the letters out.

I'd ask your professors to avoid dating the LORs. Explain how some schools refuse letters that are older than 1.5 or 2 years old -- which schools, I can't remember off hand.