Losing hope! Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanh7492

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a million people post something similar to this but here it goes anyway. So this will be my 3rd application. I graduated a semester early in December 2013 with a GPA of 3.35, and I took the July 2014 MCAT and got a 36 (14 PS 12 BS 10 VR). I applied (relatively late) that cycle to ~15 schools, exclusively allopathic, and received 15 rejections and 0 interviews. Assuming my late application is what killed me, I got started WAAAAAY earlier for the next cycle and selected my slew of schools meticulously. I went through this second round of ~16 applications incredibly seriously (again only allopathic), and I even went so far as to hire a consultant. I sent out my primaries within the hour they opened on June 2nd. Again, I received 16 rejections and 0 interviews, and I was crushed. But, on the bright side, I beat my record from the year before! I have very light research experience, but a lot of patient care experience (i.e 4 years as an EMT; 2 separate MD shadowing programs). Since March 2015, I've been working as a car salesman, and I've quickly found I am a talented, but seeing how unhappy my coworkers are makes this an obvious "no thank you" as a career choice. Should I bother reapplying for MD? The people I've spoken to have for the most part said something along the lines of "you shouldnt even be considering DO/carribean with your MCAT scores/history despite your below average gpa". However, to be perfectly honest, I'm shot. Not to mention, my MCAT score is going to have it's 3rd anniversary in July 2017, and I'm hearing most schools will not take more than a 3 year old score. Technically, this would be my last chance. Should I focus all of my time and energy towards a killer DO application? I've avoided DO because they dont seem to match as well to the residencies that get me PUMPED. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure a million people post something similar to this but here it goes anyway. So this will be my 3rd application. I graduated a semester early in December 2013 with a GPA of 3.35, and I took the July 2014 MCAT and got a 36 (14 PS 12 BS 10 VR). I applied (relatively late) that cycle to ~15 schools, exclusively allopathic, and received 15 rejections and 0 interviews. Assuming my late application is what killed me, I got started WAAAAAY earlier for the next cycle and selected my slew of schools meticulously. I went through this second round of ~16 applications incredibly seriously (again only allopathic), and I even went so far as to hire a consultant. I sent out my primaries within the hour they opened on June 2nd. Again, I received 16 rejections and 0 interviews, and I was crushed. But, on the bright side, I beat my record from the year before! I have very light research experience, but a lot of patient care experience (i.e 4 years as an EMT; 2 separate MD shadowing programs). Since March 2015, I've been working as a car salesman, and I've quickly found I am a talented, but seeing how unhappy my coworkers are makes this an obvious "no thank you" as a career choice. Should I bother reapplying for MD? The people I've spoken to have for the most part said something along the lines of "you shouldnt even be considering DO/carribean with your MCAT scores/history despite your below average gpa". However, to be perfectly honest, I'm shot. Not to mention, my MCAT score is going to have it's 3rd anniversary in July 2017, and I'm hearing most schools will not take more than a 3 year old score. Technically, this would be my last chance. Should I focus all of my time and energy towards a killer DO application? I've avoided DO because they dont seem to match as well to the residencies that get me PUMPED. Any advice?

Do you want to be a doctor? If so, try DO. Your gpa is just probably too low for MD. Your only choice for md is likely a SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
before you apply MD again:

1. do something about that 3.35. it's not good enough. a good MCAT doesn't erase a low GPA. the ability to succeed over years in heavy science coursework is what GPA shows, and it's important because med school is longer and harder than undergrad. MCAT is a point. GPA is a line. if you want to be taken seriously as a USMD school candidate, pony up and do more academics. more undergrad would be fine. an SMP would have been perfect once you had that 36, and it would still help now.

2. do something about the no invites in 2 cycles issue. at least your state school(s) should have been willing to talk to you with a 36. that means there's something else wrong in your app. you can basically search this forum for "red flag" to find out what that might be. a consultant can't see your letters, so that's probably the thing. more/better academics is how to get more/better letters (2 birds one stone).

yeah, this means your MCAT score is going to expire. if an MCAT retake is beyond what you're willing to do, that's good info: it means you don't want it enough to do what you have to do.

if you're willing to do something other than medicine, then go do that. otherwise, fix your problems and apply after they're fixed.

best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users
A 3rd time applicant with an MCAT score this high is going to be perceived by a number of evaluators at schools as a riskier candidate.

3.35/36 is not low enough to preclude IIs. Not at all. Historically 50% of MD candidates who apply find an MD acceptance with those stats by finding ways to overcome them. You have non academic issues to address beyond the 3.35. Looks like you've found some of them, keep analyzing your previous app and your situation to find more areas that can be improved and more importantly how you are going to improve them.

If you hadn't applied yet I would tell you some DIY PB work at a local UG for about 30 credits or so would be wise. As a 3rd time applicant, maybe you are looking at having to do something more aggressive like an SMP. 3rd time applicants are not in an ideal spot. Depends on a number of factors. There are far worse things than having to retake an MCAT score. If you're smart enough to get a 36, you can probably realistically restudy for a retake in around 150-200 hours over 10-12 weeks. If you're willing to do an SMP, they'll be times where you study 150-200 hours over 3 weeks. You tell me which one is worse.

Last edited:
Very good points thanks. I live in New york and i applied heavily in state. Hmmm i guess i have some reevaluating/planning to do. Ty for the advice

These are MD schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
All 4 SUNY's
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane
You need to apply early and to many schools to maximize your chances for an interview.
Also apply to at least 8 DO schools and you are competitive for any DO school. You could include:
PCOM
LECOM
NYIT
TOURO-NY
Add a few more in areas of the country that appeal to you.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.