Losing Motivation, Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rushnrhcp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm exactly one month off from my retake for the MCAT. My first time through, I didn't prepare properly and got a 28. Since then, I spent a good month just learning everything for all the subjects, and I think it's paid off. My AAMC practice test scores have been:

3: 11/12/10 (33- this was before I finished studying bio and hadn't looked at orgo or physics)
9: 12/11/14 (37)
7: 13/12/13 (38)
8: 13/11/13 (37)
10: 14/13/13 (40)

The problem is I'm still a month out, and while I'm paranoid about not doing well after my last experience, I'm finding it really hard to keep going because every time I start I end up just feeling like I know it. I know this will kick me in the a$$ though, so I was hoping someone had some advice? Maybe a study schedule for the last month?

Thanks a lot everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I'm exactly one month off from my retake for the MCAT. My first time through, I didn't prepare properly and got a 28. Since then, I spent a good month just learning everything for all the subjects, and I think it's paid off. My AAMC practice test scores have been:

3: 11/12/10 (33- this was before I finished studying bio and hadn't looked at orgo or physics)
9: 12/11/14 (37)
7: 13/12/13 (38)
8: 13/11/13 (37)
10: 14/13/13 (40)

The problem is I'm still a month out, and while I'm paranoid about not doing well after my last experience, I'm finding it really hard to keep going because every time I start I end up just feeling like I know it. I know this will kick me in the a$$ though, so I was hoping someone had some advice? Maybe a study schedule for the last month?

Thanks a lot everyone!

Ask yourself every moment, "Do I really want to be a doctor?" If the answer to that question is yes then ask yourself if you are doing everything reasonably possible to attain that goal. If the answer is no, then keep working.

This one exam can make or break your acceptance to medical school. If you really want it, then keep pushing yourself. As I said in an earlier post, champions run the hardest the last mile. Losers may run hard in the beginning, but don't finish strong. Which one are you?

How did you go from a 28 to a 40?

._.

WIZARD.

LTARo7u.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Little bit of burnout, perhaps? I'm not sure what your schedule looks like, but a day or two off could help you reenergize and refocus. Just a thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I definitely think it's mostly burnout, I was doing 10+ hour days for a month straight. I took the last five days mostly off, maybe doing an hour or two of reviewing, and I feel good. I'm gonna try to get through all of the Examkrackers 1001/101 books in the next month and take another two or three practice tests. Any other advice for the last month of studying? I feel I already know just about all the material so now it's a matter of practice. I'm gonna review notes everyday, and read a chapter in the Examkrackers Bio text everynight. I should be able to read through it twice, and I'm putting extra effort there as Bio is my weakest area (was an engineering major).

The big jump I think is simply do to knowing almost all the material. When I took the first test and scored the 28, I hadn't studied any orgo and barely any bio. It was a terrible strategy, but I was feeling under pressure to take the MCAT and I had very little time (was graduating and needed to finish my BME capstone). Anyway, I'm taking the 40 with a pinch of salt. If I can score 33+ i'll be very happy!