Losing my Wisdom (...teeth)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's probably even worse than my experience... I had surgery (not for wisdom teeth) and woke up still intubated before being taken to the recovery room. All I was aware of was not being able to breathe in or out; I didn't know I was intubated. #1 scariest moment of my entire life.

I can relate to that too, I've had 2-3 episodes of sleep paralysis... basically you partially wake up so your mind is aware at some level, but you cannot move any part of your body, not even your eyelids. First 2 times it was so terrifying, last time I remembered and just tried to fall back asleep, still horrifying though. I wasn't worried about breathing however, so that was probably equally awful.

Members don't see this ad.

I can relate to that too, I've had 2-3 episodes of sleep paralysis... basically you partially wake up so your mind is aware at some level, but you cannot move any part of your body, not even your eyelids. First 2 times it was so terrifying, last time I remembered and just tried to fall back asleep, still horrifying though. I wasn't worried about breathing however, so that was probably equally awful.

+1 to hypnopompic sleep paralysis being some scary ish. It has only happened once to me and it was after a long week of block exams during M2.

As for wisdom teeth extraction... don't worry, OP. You'll be fine. My experience was very pleasant, although I understand that isn't the case with everyone. I had 4 removed and 2 were impacted. Gave me gas at first then conscious sedation with what I believe was Versed and something else. I didn't experience any complications and I didn't remember a single thing. My surgeon prescribed a course of antibiotics and a few days of opiates. No complaints whatsoever, although it was weird waking up... I've never felt that inebriated before. Apparently the ride home with my dad was interesting...

Last edited:
tooth pain is some of the worst kind out there. i think i was born without wisdom teeth so i never had them tugged out. but ive had 2 root canals and prior to them i was dying. the vicodin though.... that **** chills you out. you shouldn't have too much trouble writing secondaries if you're on it. it doesn't really make you drunk or affect judgment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had mine taken out a few weeks before the semester, and contracted a terrible infection requiring further surgery and grinding the jaw bone from calcification caused by the infection. Almost required a picc line for antibiotics, but was able to get it under control with oral antibiotics.

The verdict: my semester did not suffer and I got a boyfriend.

Lol. Moral of the story: only about 10% of people undergoing the surgery have complications similar to mine (yes, the oral surgeon gave this statistic to me as we were walking to the room), and I made it out unscathed.

Good luck! :)

They gave me nitrous oxide and ketamine, it was fantastic. For some reason woke up crying and they say that happens

I got the twilight sleep, and I was in a fair amount of pain after, but that also may have had to do with the fact that I had major arm surgery less than a week prior so I still had my arm all wrapped up in a sling. Just take the day off from school/apps. Don't make yourself completely miserable.

Had mine taken out a few weeks before the semester, and contracted a terrible infection requiring further surgery and grinding the jaw bone from calcification caused by the infection. Almost required a picc line for antibiotics, but was able to get it under control with oral antibiotics.

The verdict: my semester did not suffer and I got a boyfriend.

Lol. Moral of the story: only about 10% of people undergoing the surgery have complications similar to mine (yes, the oral surgeon gave this statistic to me as we were walking to the room), and I made it out unscathed.

Good luck! :)

Well that makes me feel better.

:poke:

I had four bony extractions done at once. Just don't take the pain meds, suck up the pain, and you'll be fine. They'll probably give you percs, which would be horrible to take while writing anything- they make you just not give a flying ****. Depending on whether it's an uncomplicated or bony extraction, the hardest thing you'll have to deal with is getting adequate nutrition to keep your brain working properly. Protein shakes work well, as do many meal replacement shakes. I couldn't open my mouth enough to eat solid food for over a week. First thing I ate was a freakin chicken nugget that I had to smash down to half it's original thickness in order to chew on. I hate them normally, but it tasted like heaven.

Good luck.

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago. I was under nitrous oxide and started laughing during the procedure because I thought the surgeon was a robot...? I had a bit of a rough course and was in pain for about a week. The pain meds just made me feel terrible. The procedure itself wasn't too bad, but I have to say the pressure can be intense/painful. Of course, I was having a grand old time on N2O so it didn't matter too much.
I'd recommend getting protein shakes or something so you can get some real nutrition in the first few days afterwards.

It was supposed to make you feel better that even if that does happen to you, it really won't be that bad! haha. Sorry if that did the opposite!

LOL. No problem. I know the risks.

(But I didn't really expect someone to come out and say "hey guess what hell I went through!")

And for those of you keeping track, I had to put off the procedure for a couple weeks. Its still going to happen... just not as imminent as I had thought.

I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago. I was under nitrous oxide and started laughing during the procedure because I thought the surgeon was a robot...? I had a bit of a rough course and was in pain for about a week. The pain meds just made me feel terrible. The procedure itself wasn't too bad, but I have to say the pressure can be intense/painful. Of course, I was having a grand old time on N2O so it didn't matter too much.
I'd recommend getting protein shakes or something so you can get some real nutrition in the first few days afterwards.

Funny. I've had N2O before (for fillings....) and never thought anything was that hilarious. I'm more like: :yawn:

Last edited:
I have been having a lot of dental pain. My k9/eye tooth #6 had a root canal today. It was absecced . I also need 2 surgical extractions on #2 & #10. In extreme pain, face has swelling and can't sleep. Dentist sent me home with no pain med. I asked and was told no....makes no sense. I've never asked them before and first time using them as dentist.....hurting and confused. Seems not right. And dentist didn't tell me what he was gonna do before root canal & no afterward instructions . said " your done go home"....

Wisdom teeth weren't bad at all, I got some cocktail injection in my arm and woke up in the car being driven home by my roommate. I got all 4 out. I ate mushy food for 2 days and then I was fine. The worst part was the food that would get stuck in the pits in the weeks afterwards, had to carry a curved syringe to blast it out. So yah, wisdom teeth not so bad, tonsils on the other hand were such a nightmare, and extremely painful and long recovery (with surprise post surgical bleed requiring emergency surgery!).

I have been having a lot of dental pain. My k9/eye tooth #6 had a root canal today. It was absecced . I also need 2 surgical extractions on #2 & #10. In extreme pain, face has swelling and can't sleep. Dentist sent me home with no pain med. I asked and was told no....makes no sense. I've never asked them before and first time using them as dentist.....hurting and confused. Seems not right. And dentist didn't tell me what he was gonna do before root canal & no afterward instructions . said " your done go home"....

Well, while we're sympathetic here, this isn't really a place to seek the help you need. Go see a doctor or another dentist in person. We can't do anything for you.

Call your dentist.