Lots of fluoroscopic procedures during pregnancy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sohalia

namaste
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was hoping someone could give me some good information or direct me to where I could get an answer to this question:
Basically, I am planning on a pain fellowship and know that I will be doing a lot of fluroscopy during the fellowship and after. I am also planning on starting a family either during the fellowship or after. Of course I'll be wearing a lead apron, etc., but in terms of doing fluroscopy day in and day out (my experience in pain clinic is that it is quite possible to do 10+ procedures per day), will the exposure level still be acceptable? Even if I waited until after the year of fellowship to start a family, I don't know that I would be able to negotiate out of doing such procedures while pregnant when I go looking for a job...

Members don't see this ad.

1) If this concerns you so much, your children during residency (and piss off the rest of the residents). Or don't do interventional procedures until after your family is completed likely after 2-3 years if you plan on having 2.5 children.

2) If you plan on doing interventional pain procedures you could always wear double lead and try not to do any flouro procedures during the 1st 3 months. There is no know minimum safety level (except zero). This is not a good way to build a practice. Once you start the referralls coming, the referring docs will get pissed that their patients cannot get procedures done. I guess if you had a people in your group that did the procedures they would just backlog everything. However, I would expect that this would increase the number of years you would have to work before making partner in a private group.