Lots of pubs, 3.86 GPA, 508 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brettford2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I applied to a pretty broad spectrum of MD programs, but I'll just be happy to get in somewhere. I'm still not quite sure where my MCAT score stands in my application because of the whole new scoring thing.

April MCAT 2015
Chem/Phys-130
CARS-125
Bio/Biochem-128
Psych/Soc-125
Total-508 (77 percentile overall)

I have a 3.86 overall GPA and 3.84 BCPM GPA from Elon University (NC). I recently just received an MS in Biochemistry. I'm a PA resident, so I'm hoping for some in-state schools.

ECs:
1) Research (extensive): 2 undergraduate projects (each 2 years-no pubs but presented posters and attended conferences), a summer REU, graduate school (4 first-authored publications and 8 co-authored publications in biochemistry journals-impact factor 3-4)-I'm hoping the publications will hold some weight in my application.

2) Teaching/Tutoring: 3 years general chemistry tutor, 1 year lab teaching assistant (genetics/human phys labs), 1 semester-high school science tutor, 1 semester ESL tutor for young Hispanic middle school students

3) Volunteer: 300 hours ED volunteering, alternative break trip (Hurricane Katrina relief)

4) Patient Contact: 2000 hours as a personal care assistant for the elderly

5) Shadowing: 20 hours neurologist + 20 hours emergency medicine (limited experience so far-trying to get more hours)

6) Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Presidential/Research Fellow Scholarships (undergrad)

How much weight will the publications hold in my application/which schools focus on research more (like UPitt?, other suggestions)? I think my GPA is good enough, but I'm still a little worried about my MCAT score for my application. Any advice would be greatly appreciated-schools that do/do not make sense to apply to based on my stats/ECs! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your publications may help. Your MCAT is equivalent to 30 on the old MCAT and with your high GPA you should receive some interviews. If you have not already apply to Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan as your stats are above their averages.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty excellent research and clinical exposure. Target mid/low tiers, I don't think you will have a problem getting in. Throw in a few research heavy schools that aren't so crazy about stats as well. Pitt is probably the best top 20 to apply to because your MCAT falls in their 10%ile and they love research - it will still be very competitive though. Maybe Duke as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of graduate school are we talking? A masters or did you actually get a PhD or at least spend time in one of those type of programs? How long have you been out of college for? Also were those 2000 hours as a personal care assistant for the elderly on a volunteer basis or paid?

To answer your question first off of whether you'll get into a MD school the odds are strongly in your favor of getting multiple II's with your list. But as others have said a 30 MCAT is just very very difficult to overcome at bigger name schools. Perhaps take a stab at a few, but those with 30 MCATs who are under the 10th percentile who get in are usually URMs, military veterans or people who stand out in an extraordinary way. While maybe you can take a chance at a few bigger names to see if you are "that extraordinary applicant who stands out"(because there are a lot of strong parts of your app) it's not wise to focus your time there.

As for schools being in PA gives you a number of options. TCMC, Drexel, Temple and Penn State are all absolute musts(I believe TCMC gives interviews to around 40% of IS applicants and Drexel and Temple are between 25-30% if memory serves me correctly which it might not). Penn State only has a median MCAT in the 30-31 range). Jefferson is another good one. If you are from middle or western PA, definitely give WVU a shot as well. The odds are in favor of getting at least 1 II out of those schools.

As for other lower tiers the typical names come to mind: SLU, Creighton, Wake, Tulane, Tufts, MCW, VCU, Albany, NYMC, Oakland, Quininpac etc all come to mind. Applying to a handful of those is probably a smart idea. If you want to take a stab at some bigger names be it Case, Emory, Hofstra, USC, Boston U, Dartmouth, Rochester might be worth consideration. This would not be my focus however.

Good luck. Above all else you should get multiple II's your way so it is looking promising.

Last edited:
The MCAT is what is holding you back from the top schools. Note that I said "the top schools", not "becoming a doctor". You will find a MD acceptance somewhere.

I suggest the following:

The Philly Triplets
NYMC
Albany
Oakland-B
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
MCW
SLU
Western MI
U Miami
VCU
Wake
EVMS
Netter
U VM
U WV
Loma Linda (if you're willing to serve Christ)
Any DO school
Your state school(s)

The personal care assisting is my current employment. I was in a PhD program but realized I wanted to pursue medicine halfway through it, so I was able to receive a Master's. Thanks for the advice everyone!