Lots of trouble...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konaoldstu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 32 now and going to college for the first time. 4.0 first semester and I plan on keeping it going.

As a young man (21-25) I had four separate misdemeanor DUI's. There were no accidents, and no one was hurt. I got help with the psychological issues and drinking and have turned my life around.

Is med school out of reach? I know I can keep my grades up, but will anyone even look at my application?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine. Lot's of people are stupid when young. Just own those mistakes and never make any excuses and you'll be fine.

And Do NOT ever drink and drive again!

good luck!

I am 32 now and going to college for the first time. 4.0 first semester and I plan on keeping it going.

As a young man (21-25) I had four separate misdemeanor DUI's. There were no accidents, and no one was hurt. I got help with the psychological issues and drinking and have turned my life around.

Is med school out of reach? I know I can keep my grades up, but will anyone even look at my application?

I'm going to say what you probably don't want to hear, but there is very little chance that med schools will look past one, much less 4 separate DUI's over 4 years. It's unfortunate, but there's enough applicants with perfectly clean records still having trouble applying to medical school. Any black mark will hold you back significantly.

Members don't see this ad :)
best option: call medical schools directly and ask anonymously

If it is what you truly want out of life, then you absolutely have to apply. Either way, doing well in school will benefit you for whatever you want to do. Take it one step at a time. And pretty much never drink again, obviously you cannot trust yourself to do it responsibly.

I'm glad to see you have turned your life around and tried to make something of yourself. Keep up the work. However, I don't think medical schools will look past 4 mistakes like that. Many adcoms won't even look past one DUI so I'm very doubtful about 4. There are plenty of other options in healthcare and medicine that would be within reach given your past.

My best friend of 16 years was killed by a drunk driver.