loup advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Orascoptic

Q-optics

The Surgical Room

Univet-optic

Rose Micro Solutions

Lumadent

These are the players that will be attending the event at our school. Any feedback would be great

Members don't see this ad.

Orascoptic and Surgitel seem to be very high quality. A lot of students in my class had to send back their DFV loupes for one reason or another, and had problems with their customer service. I'm sure this experience varies from person to person though.

I have Lumadent and love them. Great customer service. Good product for the price, but not the same quality as orascoptic or zeiss.
Q-Optics loupes seem very fragile and flimsy. I'm sure they're lightweight and comfortable, but I wouldn't count on their durability in the long run.

Several of my operative instructors use Perioptix.

And of course, you can't go wrong with Zeiss. Those are apparent'y the bee's knees.

Members don't see this ad :)
No designs for visions or surgitel?

Thats all I was emailed with, at UB too :(.

Orascoptic and Surgitel seem to be very high quality. A lot of students in my class had to send back their DFV loupes for one reason or another, and had problems with their customer service. I'm sure this experience varies from person to person though.

I have Lumadent and love them. Great customer service. Good product for the price, but not the same quality as orascoptic or zeiss.
Q-Optics loupes seem very fragile and flimsy. I'm sure they're lightweight and comfortable, but I wouldn't count on their durability in the long run.

Several of my operative instructors use Perioptix.

And of course, you can't go wrong with Zeiss. Those are apparent'y the bee's knees.

I was interested in Zeiss to before I was emailed with the list.

I'm looking into Orascoptic atm, I noticed they have Hires and HDL? What would you recommend?

I've had Surgitel (FL) and Orascoptic loupes (TTL Oakley frames). My Surgitels I got in residency and abused the crap out of them. The flip-ups held up really well, but they were heavy. I loved being able to adjust them. I used them for 4 or so years. I got Orascoptic TTL HiRes 2.5x. The HiRes has a wider field of vision than the HDL. I've been quite happy with them. I tried out their Endeavour light and hated it. Very small beam, didn't fit the loupes quite right, and expensive. I returned it and got a Lumadent light and it's perfect. Get a back-up battery because when the battery dies, it's so hard to go back to working in the dark.

Lumadent loupes are nice too, but I didn't like that they only have premeasured distances for their WLs. It's much better to get something that's custom fit for you.

I've had Surgitel (FL) and Orascoptic loupes (TTL Oakley frames). My Surgitels I got in residency and abused the crap out of them. The flip-ups held up really well, but they were heavy. I loved being able to adjust them. I used them for 4 or so years. I got Orascoptic TTL HiRes 2.5x. The HiRes has a wider field of vision than the HDL. I've been quite happy with them. I tried out their Endeavour light and hated it. Very small beam, didn't fit the loupes quite right, and expensive. I returned it and got a Lumadent light and it's perfect. Get a back-up battery because when the battery dies, it's so hard to go back to working in the dark.

Lumadent loupes are nice too, but I didn't like that they only have premeasured distances for their WLs. It's much better to get something that's custom fit for you.

and wider field of vision is a benefit or more of a preference? I was actually looking into TTL hires

Thats all I was emailed with, at UB too :(.

I was interested in Zeiss to before I was emailed with the list.

I'm looking into Orascoptic atm, I noticed they have Hires and HDL? What would you recommend?
From what I understand, the HDLs are smaller, lighter magnification lenses. My fiancee is a hygienist, she uses these (2.5x). The quality is great. However, if any loupe company offers a "light" or "small" version, there is something they are sacrificing to get there, whether it is magnification, clarity, field of view, etc. I would go with the Hi-Res (the 3.3x), though I haven't personally tried them.

and wider field of vision is a benefit or more of a preference? I was actually looking into TTL hires

It depends on the doc. Personally, I think the more you can see is a greater benefit. Lets you do hygiene checks quicker, prep more teeth without moving, and it also lets you see the tongue sneaking into your vision when working on the bottom. From what I remember, the field of vision on my Surgitel 2.5x flip-ups was ~2.5 teeth (looking at 19 - I could see most of 18 and most of 20). When I tried on the 2.5x HDLs, I could see just about 2 teeth (when I looked at 19, I could half of 18 and most of 20). With my 2.5x HiRes, I can see about 3 (looking at 19, can see all of 18 and all of 20, plus some of 21). So I've been really happy with them. If you end up with the HiRes TTL, look at the Lumadent light.

Also, keep in mind that field of vision will plummet as mag increases.

Good product for the price, but not the same quality as orascoptic or zeiss.
1jY6yOa

You know Q-Optics loupes come with a lifetime warranty and their frames are made out of titanium rather than the Perioptix plastic...

Q-Optics have outstanding customer service, offer fully customised loupes and are incredibly well priced.

Orascoptic out of those choices. I have design for vision and I like it even though it's little heavy. Zeiss is on a different level in terms of quality and price. Last time I checked their price double the price of what I paid for DFV. Heine is another German brand that's pretty nice when I tried my friends.

Either way, you need to try those frames on yourself imo.