Loupe Glasses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nervous Ned

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw this ad for loupes on the AirwayCam course page. Did any of you buy these? Do you like them as much as Rob Orman apparently does? They seem much more reasonably priced compared to a lot of the loupes advertised for surgeons/dentists. Or alternatively, did any of you get another brand of loupes that you like?

Members don't see this ad.

7 years of EM - these aren't necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received them as a gift, and haven't used them more than once. They also don't fit very well.

There have been a few times I thought they'd be useful (foreign body removals, trying to do a really good job on a kid's facial laceration, etc.). I'd even consider looking on Ebay or something, but I wear glasses. Wearing loupes over glasses doesn't work and buying loupes with a prescription added in is insanely expensive, so I'll settle for squinting and putting my face uncomfortably close to things.

As I get "older", those 6-0 nylon threads get harder and harder to grab.....I find using the Costco reading glasses are perfect for doing lac repairs. Don't really need things super magnified, like with loupes. The +1.5's are perfect. If they get chingered up, just toss them and buy another 3 pairs for $18.....

Reactions: 1 user
I borrowed them from one of the attendings when i did a rotation in residency in Arizona to pull out a bunch of cactus barbs from a guy. Other than that, I've never had a good reason to have any