Loupes for people with no nose bridge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have regular glasses-type loupes with the telescopes in the lens, but my barely-existent Asian nose bridge causes them to always always fall down my face because of the weight. It's worse if I attach my light to it. I can tighten the strap, but it gets super uncomfortable and it's annoying when I want to take them off. I often times just end up looking through the lens rather than the scope because I get so annoyed with pushing the glasses back up.

Does anyone have any experience with head-band type loupes? I saw online that Heine offers this ridiculous contraption where you can attach a light and loupes to a headband. (Reminds me of headgear for ortho.) Has anyone had any experience with those types of loupes? Anyone know of any other options? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With most loupes, tightening the strap is necessary to spread the weight or else the fall forward; as you've experienced. Btw, have you gotten the pads adjusted to your nose? Check with your rep or just go to an optician and ask them to adjust htem for you. Also, depending on your model, you can also ask the optician to adjust the tip that goes around your ear.

The Heine rep told us head-band loupes are great since the weight is better distributed. But, I've never seen anyone wear them...If you don't want to head towards that type, check with different companies if they have models for your face type.

Yeah, I've gotten the nosepads and ear thingy adjusted and everything. Normally, I think that the nosepads sort of "clip" the bridge of the nose in order to stay in place. However, since I don't have a bridge and even if I tighten the strap, they are not able to "clip" until they slide down to like the middle of my nose, making the scopes essentially useless.

I guess I wouldn't mind looking ridiculous with the headband thing if it means that I won't be horribly uncomfortable for the entire day. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other brands with similar options.

Members don't see this ad :)
some companies actually have frames designed for the asian nose type, i think DFV is one of them. i'll can ask around.

I have Designs for Vision actually. First, I had the Nike frames, but they didn't work out. I asked the rep at the time if they had better options for Asian noses and she let me exchange for one of the metal frame ones, which she said other Asian people have liked. They seemed comfortable at the time, but obviously there's gonna be a big difference between trying them on for a couple minutes vs. having them on for several hours. There aren't a lot of other Asians in my class so I'm wondering if people from other schools have any input, especially if they have any experience with the headband thing. Thanks!!

I use the headband type loupes. They work great. I think they are the best way to use loupes especially if you wear glasses.

I actually have a set of the heine headband loups on order right now.

I use the headband type loupes. They work great. I think they are the best way to use loupes especially if you wear glasses.

I actually have a set of the heine headband loups on order right now.

What brand do you currently have? And can you also attach a light to it? Thanks!

a lot of people in my class, especially those whose nosepieces have broken but also more commonly the Asian students, have used putty to make a custom bridge. I'm sure there will be some trial and error, but given the sheer number of students I see doing it, it seems like a decent fix.

Haha interesting, I might give that a try. Hopefully it's not too noticeable!

Oakley makes some good Asian-fit frames; presumably their entire catalog is available for loupes as well; I'm not sure.

Is this really that much of a problem? I have more of a bridge than most; it's straight and ends just below the area between my eyebrows. Don't tell me my loupes are going to be falling off my face all the time. :(

I currently have orascoptic. My Henie's just came in. They are great.

Yes the light does mount to the headband.