Loupes wanted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Regina11235

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone is selling any of their loupes. I am looking for loupes with X2.5 magnification.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have some DFV 2.5x on Yeoman frames

Members don't see this ad :)
I have designs for vision, 2.5x, sport frames. Perfect condition. PM me if you're interested, I'll give you a good deal.

Don't buy loupes secondhand. Anyone would love to sell them to you, but loupes are customized to you. I personally have tried on my classmates' loupes and there is a large difference between interpupillary distances, declination of loupes, etc. It is not worth it-spend the money and get what you need, customized measurements to you. Someone else's loupes can cause headaches, nausea, strain. I'm not recommending you buy secondhand loupes you haven't even tried on.

Absolutely not true with flip ups. With TTLs, you can always have your rep redo them for you.

The loupes I tried on that were someone else's were flip ups, and they were not right for me. I just feel like loupes are such a huge part of your dental education-spend the money and get the right pair. It is like having a new car but cheaping out on the tires-you won't get the full experience of a smooth ride. Personal preference. I know loupe vendors would not be willing to adjust someone else's loupes for you, and there is a cost to that as well. It would be less expensive, but would it be cheap enough than a new pair to be worth it?

i agree with you about getting a pair that you like. flip ups are adjustable to virtually anybody. ttls would incur a cost by the vendor to adjust. again, i agree, hell i just bought some $$$ zeiss. other students have different priorities though.

Don't buy loupes secondhand. Anyone would love to sell them to you, but loupes are customized to you. I personally have tried on my classmates' loupes and there is a large difference between interpupillary distances, declination of loupes, etc. It is not worth it-spend the money and get what you need, customized measurements to you. Someone else's loupes can cause headaches, nausea, strain. I'm not recommending you buy secondhand loupes you haven't even tried on.
the classmate who you borrowed the loupe from is probably taller or shorter than you resulting in different working distances...

The only nonadjustable part of the loupe is the working distance (eye to hand distance)...every other aspect can be customized exactly to you and potentially even more accurately than TTL. For example, my TTL loupe is slightly canted to one side (manufacturing error that's clinically negligible)...otherwise, the flip up loupe is completely customizable...if this were a flip up, i could just move the lense around however way i want.

the classmate who you borrowed the loupe from is probably taller or shorter than you resulting in different working distances...

The only nonadjustable part of the loupe is the working distance (eye to hand distance)...every other aspect can be customized exactly to you and potentially even more accurately than TTL. For example, my TTL loupe is slightly canted to one side (manufacturing error that's clinically negligible)...otherwise, the flip up loupe is completely customizable...if this were a flip up, i could just move the lense around however way i want.
There are tons of different frames that don't support a readjustment of the declination angle of the loupes. I have had to have mine remade, but the angle I required was not possible in a sport frame. They returned it all for a new frame for me. There's just no need to cheap out on something that you need for the rest of your career. It doesn't make sense to take a chance and possibly spend more money getting new loupes when the secondhand ones don't cut it. I don't really need to debate with you or anyone about this-I think this person was just looking for opinions and we can agree to disagree. If the flip ups are totally adjustable-great. But this person didn't ask for flip ups and likely would have gotten a TTL pair (most have TTL).