Loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanaDMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The dental loupes companies have started their presentations at my school. Everyone I know who has a pair loves it. Our profs say it's good to use them since you'll end up using them in practice.

My questions:

1) Is it worth it?
2) I don't really understand what exactly loupes are needed for?
3) Every time I've tried on a pair, the vision was blurry on the contours. Feels like a cheap magnifying glass stuck onto a pair of sunglasses... Is that normal?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Yes
2) They give you a clear, well illuminated (assuming you have a light) magnified view of the
working area while your head is 14 - 24 inches away.
3) No, Try on several of the top manufacturers brands. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 3.3x magnification.

^ You don't need 3.3x magnification unless you're doing nothing but endo. My 2.5x magnification is perfect for me. I wear it during crown preps and operative procedures as well as endo and even SRP. Gives you a good view of your working field, helps with lighting, and helps you keep good posture.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loupes + light is worth every penny. Check out designs for vision

How come every single one I've tried feels super cheap and uncomfortable?

I know a few upper classmen who never got loupes. I went through the entire d1 without loupes. Somehow i just procrastinated on buying them. It's not that bad without them, but I always have to bend over and get real close to be able to see what I'm doing, and it's taken a toll on my neck and lower back. Personally, the reason I'm getting loupes is to help me with my posture. I will be getting mine from Q optics (eventually....)

Reactions: 1 users
I know a few upper classmen who never got loupes. I went through the entire d1 without loupes. Somehow i just procrastinated on buying them. It's not that bad without them, but I always have to bend over and get real close to be able to see what I'm doing, and it's taken a toll on my neck and lower back. Personally, the reason I'm getting loupes is to help me with my posture. I will be getting mine from Q optics (eventually....)
This answer makes sense to me :) That's what I've been seeing haha

as a dentist should i get HRP or HR-C?

Hey ya'll. I'm an RDH and I highly recommend Q-Optics. They have optics that are comparable to Zeiss and have super light weight frames and loupes. Posture is one of the main advantages of loupes and a light. You can definitely "get through school" without them, but purchasing them in school allows you to get student pricing. Many general dentiststypically use 2.5x magnification and down the line jump up to 3.0x or 3.5x. Another option is to get 2.5x to become used to the magnification and as you're about to graduate purchase some higher magnification. Another great advantage to Q-Optics is their Eclipse frame style allows them to put the telescopes lower on the shield so you have the ability to easily look over the top of the loupes without constantly having to bend your neck. I have had competitor loupes and wish I would have gone with Q-Optics on my first purchase. Hope this helps!

Buy 3.5x if you can. We're restricted to 2.5 at my school :(/

You have those comfort experiences because they aren't designed for you.