love letters as rank list deadline moves closer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
don't do this. it will annoy the program coordinator and make you look desperate.

ROL meetings are held behind closed doors by the chair/PD/APD and nothing you can write/call will do much in your favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
to clarify: I would not contact programs saying, "You're my number 1!!" or "Looking forward to spending lots of time together over the next three years!"

I did however send thank you notes to my top 3 programs directly after interviews. Just like a "Hi, thanks for the great interview visit. Was impressed with your program and really enjoy visiting the area. Best wishes for the match." or something like that. Also got similar letters from programs..

my home PD and several PDs in various ALiEM resources said it can't hurt you to send the "you're my #1" emails, it can only help. that being said, I'm sure most rank lists have been done by now.

I disagree with "e30ftw" (although, love that chassis!). I did more aways than the average student, and at least 2 of the PD's said it will not hurt you to tell a program they are your #1, and in some cases might even bump you up a spot or so on their list. Unless you're a weirdo in the e-mail I guess. Also, ALIEM discussed this issue in one of their videos with 5 different PD's from well-known programs (one of these, can't remember which http://www.aliem.com/?s=rank+list), and all of them said at the very least it won't hurt, and in some cases might help.

That said, the list is due in 5 days and I think most programs have probably already certified their lists. So, I doubt a last minute email would do anything at this stage, AND... it might even make you appear indecisive since it appears that you chose your #1 at the last minute.

I disagree with "e30ftw" (although, love that chassis!). I did more aways than the average student, and at least 2 of the PD's said it will not hurt you to tell a program they are your #1, and in some cases might even bump you up a spot or so on their list. Unless you're a weirdo in the e-mail I guess. Also, ALIEM discussed this issue in one of their videos with 5 different PD's from well-known programs (one of these, can't remember which http://www.aliem.com/?s=rank list), and all of them said at the very least it won't hurt, and in some cases might help.

That said, the list is due in 5 days and I think most programs have probably already certified their lists. So, I doubt a last minute email would do anything at this stage, AND... it might even make you appear indecisive since it appears that you chose your #1 at the last minute.

I also disagree with e30ftw, although I think it's too late in the game for this to make a difference. I sent an email maybe 3 weeks before rank lists were due explicitly stating I was ranking my top choice number one. I matched there, so it certainly didn't piss them off as much as e30ftw seems to indicate that it will.

Sorry to confuse you further but I am one of the few that actually did write programs in my top 3. And I do not regret it:

While it may be too late now, each program meets behind closed doors to discuss the rank list. Ideally, you want someone in that room to say "hey, I heard from this kid and he would love to come here," so that they bump you up a few spots. If you stay radio-silent for months, then they'll not think harder about you than the day they met you. This is advice coming from an EM stalwart mentor of mine.

Good luck!

This baby needs to be put to bed. I have been told, straight from the horse's mouth (in fact multiple horses' mouths) that these letters can and probably do benefit you. There's your answer, search no further.

This baby needs to be put to bed. I have been told, straight from the horse's mouth (in fact multiple horses' mouths) that these letters can and probably do benefit you. There's your answer, search no further.

Agreed. I sat in rank list meetings for 3 years. It never hurts and it usually helps. That said, it's a small community. Don't lie and say a program is your number 1 if they're not. If you're in a guaranteed match spot on their list and you wind up elsewhere then you just started your career in EM as a liar.

meh I still think "love letters as the rank list deadline moves closer" makes you sound neurotic and a little desperate. Sure write a thank you letter as I originally stated. the rah rah love letters may have a very small chance of helping you but as a resident at our program I've heard more stories of people writing letters to the effect, "You're my number 1!" who were ranked to match and ended up matching at another program in the same geographic region.

So when I hear "love letters" I just think that you're a med student who drinks the kool-aid of doing everything possible to match including borderline unethical things like telling multiple programs they're your number 1 in order to gain a very slight edge.

fwiw I actually got a love phone-call from my number 1 where I ended up matching at though it was nice at the time it seemed weird. jmo.

You should always do a thank you note, top programs or not. It's part of being a decent human being. Being a decent human being helps you become more attractive as a candidate or job hire, which is what this is. Blowing smoke up people's arshnickle and writing a fake sounding "love letter" doesn't help, but there's nothing wrong with saying "thank you," "I was very impressed with the program" or the like. None of this is likely to make or break you by itself, but sometimes the intangibles help a bit. If you're on the cusp, it never hurts to come across as a polite, appreciative person with an understanding of basis socials graces, as opposed to a self-entitled douche-lord who thinks he's a game-changing gift to the world, who's likely to cause constant problems interacting with patients, staff and superiors, and have frequent disruptive-physician issues. That's my two cents.

I can tell you that most programs have already locked their rank list, so sending anything now will be of no benefit. In the case of my program, the PD did mention correspondence that applicants sent during the rank meeting. We also considered geographic and family ties, so take that for what it's worth.

A heartfelt and sincere expression of appreciation for a program is meaningful as an indication of true interest in a program -- otherwise, why would you waste the time of writing a thoughtful individualized note?

Saying that you are going to rank a program #1 is meaningless. What else would you say? No one sends the brutally honest "I think your program is swell and ranked it #7, because, to be honest with you, I'm not such a fan of the hot, humid weather down there, but would rather wind up in your shop than not match at all" type letter.

Baby needs to sleep. Love letters (if sincere) do help. I remember being a senior resident and saying to the rest of the crew: "Do we want Cali-homegirl to turn sour on us once she figures out that there's no ocean in 1000 miles? Nahhh." -

... and, I specifically remember (and we matched) a homeboy who hung around the ED for a day or two afterwards to soak it all in. It was clear that the "fit" was right.