Low 260s step 1 to low 240s step 2...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermaway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much will this hurt?

I'm assuming I shouldn't release scores

Members don't see this ad.

How much will this hurt?

I don't think it's that huge of a deal. That being said, I don't see any added benefit to even releasing a Step 2 in your case, bc so few programs even use Step 2 CK to grant an interview or for ranking (I think the exception is UCSF and Cleveland Clinic. So just hold it for now. No biggie.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it's that huge of a deal. That being said, I don't see any added benefit to even releasing a Step 2 in your case, bc so few programs even use Step 2 CK to grant an interview or for ranking (I think the exception is UCSF and Cleveland Clinic. So just hold it for now. No biggie.
Seriously relieved had a rough time studying so I appreciate it a ton

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously relieved had a rough time studying so I appreciate it a ton
The ones that want Step 2 CK usually do it bc of institution policy, not bc they want to - bc of instances of people taking Step 2 CK/CS after the match and then failing it and thus affecting their start date. That being said, someone here previously said that Cleveland Clinic didn't hold to that rule - so not sure. Good for you to get it done and over with. At least for right now, Step 1 is still the barrier to entry, so to speak, in terms of standardized test score filtering so you're fine.

Example: http://www.dermatology.umn.edu/dermatology-residency/index.htm

The ones that want Step 2 CK usually do it bc of institution policy, not bc they want to - bc of instances of people taking Step 2 CK/CS after the match and then failing it and thus affecting their start date. That being said, someone here previously said that Cleveland Clinic didn't hold to that rule - so not sure. Good for you to get it done and over with. At least for right now, Step 1 is still the barrier to entry, so to speak, in terms of standardized test score filtering so you're fine.

Example: http://www.dermatology.umn.edu/dermatology-residency/index.htm
Thanks! So should I release after match day?

Thanks! So should I release after match day?
LOL!!! :lol:Sure why not. They can't do jack then anyways, bc the match is a contract obligation for both sides.

LOL!!! :lol:Sure why not. They can't do jack then anyways, bc the match is a contract obligation for both sides.
Loll sorry I didn't know if that was inappropriate or not. Are you joking? When do most people release it could only hurt?

Loll sorry I didn't know if that was inappropriate or not. Are you joking? When do most people release it could only hurt?
Yes, I'm joking. You have the choice to release your Step 2 score or not during the match season. I don't think it makes that huge of a difference, quite honestly. Your program will eventually get your score with respect to creating your file, but they won't care. You've matched and it starts over. Step 1, 2 CK, and 2 CS are only needed for a training license. You don't have to do anything in terms of releasing your score then when the season is over in March.

People who are at the edge in terms of Step 1 and then do well on Step 2 CK, or have a huge uptick in score between Step 1 and Step 2 CK (like 218, and then 250 -- just an example) would naturally release their scores.

How much will this hurt?

It won't matter a huge deal. No one likes to see a 20 pt drop but 240 is still a respectable score. Very few programs actually look at your Step 2 anyway beyond seeing if you passed it. As mentioned earlier, if you are applying to a program that wants to see your Step 2 scores, then go ahead and release it. If not, it's up to you when to actually release (and this can be school dependent in many cases. My medical school insisted on a passing score and release prior to January of our MS4 year as they were burned too many time by graduating MS4's who had not passed both Step 2s)

It won't matter a huge deal. No one likes to see a 20 pt drop but 240 is still a respectable score. Very few programs actually look at your Step 2 anyway beyond seeing if you passed it. As mentioned earlier, if you are applying to a program that wants to see your Step 2 scores, then go ahead and release it. If not, it's up to you when to actually release (and this can be school dependent in many cases. My medical school insisted on a passing score and release prior to January of our MS4 year as they were burned too many time by graduating MS4's who had not passed both Step 2s)
Your med school required you to release your Step 2 scores on ERAS? Or do you mean the residency programs at your institution (with the connecting med school)?

Your med school required you to release your Step 2 scores on ERAS? Or do you mean the residency programs at your institution (with the connecting med school)?

Nope the medical school wanted both Step 2 exams completed and released on ERAS (the release being the confirmation that you had two passing scores)

Nope the medical school wanted both Step 2 exams completed and released on ERAS (the release being the confirmation that you had two passing scores)
It's one thing for the med school to mandate that you have them both passed by a certain date, but another thing to tell you to release it to all programs on ERAS. That's just crazy. It's not their business. The med school just needs to know you passed and they can easily get that bc they get score reports for their students. Usually the Step 2 ranking rule is more a hospital institution thing - i.e. all residencies at UCSF.

So maybe a good strategy would be to figure out what each program I interview wants and if they require it, send it to them, if not then don't worry about it?

So maybe a good strategy would be to figure out what each program I interview wants and if they require it, send it to them, if not then don't worry about it?
Um, when you release the score, you release it to all programs. You don't get to pick and choose which programs to send the score to. Sorry. I guess the calculation you have to make is whether it's worth releasing the score to maybe get a derm interview at UCSF and/or Cleveland Clinic (I don't know of any others offhand). You'll know beforehand on the program's website whether the program wants the score in hand in order for them to rank you.

Um, when you release the score, you release it to all programs. You don't get to pick and choose which programs to send the score to. Sorry. I guess the calculation you have to make is whether it's worth releasing the score to maybe get a derm interview at UCSF and/or Cleveland Clinic (I don't know of any others offhand). You'll know beforehand on the program's website whether the program wants the score in hand in order for them to rank you.
Yeah that's what I meant. Like I won't release now and deal with the few programs that require it. After I get interviews I will decide to release based on whether or not they require it to rank.

At thank point I figure it would mostly be to make sure I pass and the actual number won't be as important.

Thanks!

Yeah that's what I meant. Like I won't release now and deal with the few programs that require it. After I get interviews I will decide to release based on whether or not they require it to rank.

At thank point I figure it would mostly be to make sure I pass and the actual number won't be as important.

Thanks!
At rank list time, when faculty come together, you'll be amazed by what affects their final rank list. Just bc you've finished the interview, doesn't mean everything else in the past is forgotten. I think it is common fallacy to think that bc you got an interview, everyone is starting at the same point.

Thanks!

May not be worth the hassle, 240 isn't an embarassment and unlikely to affect you, I'd just release it to maximize your chances at all programs. If I recall correctly, some of the programs require Step 2 scores for an interview invite

It's one thing for the med school to mandate that you have them both passed by a certain date, but another thing to tell you to release it to all programs on ERAS. That's just crazy. It's not their business. The med school just needs to know you passed and they can easily get that bc they get score reports for their students. Usually the Step 2 ranking rule is more a hospital institution thing - i.e. all residencies at UCSF.

We all agreed, stupid rule but when can you do when they threaten to delay your graduation over this nonsense?

The prevailing rumor is that the school was burned in the past by students who never took or failed their Step 2 exams and the residency programs that accepted them were not pleased with the students or the school from which they graduated

We all agreed, stupid rule but when can you do when they threaten to delay your graduation over this nonsense?

The prevailing rumor is that the school was burned in the past by students who never took or failed their Step 2 exams and the residency programs that accepted them were not pleased with the students or the school from which they graduated
No, I 100% agree with you. Just saying that usually the med schools with deadlines for Step 2 in the fall (so you have enough time to repeat it in the spring before match if you fail) just mandate that you take the exam (and of course pass) so they have it in their internal record that you passed, as essentially a check off box for graduation vs. actively telling students that they must then release that specific passing score to residency programs in ERAS, even if that score might be less than the Step 1 score.