PhD Low AW score for top PhD program application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2015iscoming

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is definitely not a new topic, but I am not sure whether I should retake the GRE test or reassess my AW score and really hope to get some advice from the community.

Here is what I got:
V - 161, Q - 170, AW - 4

I was shocked by my AW score because: 1) I thought I did pretty well; 2) I took the GRE test 6 years ago and got 6 in AW (that was before I came to the US as an international student.. does this mean 5 years studying/working in an English-speaking environment made my writing worse?)...

My question: is it worth it to pay $55 to re-assess my AW score? Would my good Q score help to balance the low AW?

I am aiming at top PhD Program in global health with a heavy focus on evaluation/metrics. More information about my background:

Undergrad GPA: (did it in another country, so getting evaluated by WES)
MPH GPA: 3.89 (joined MPH/MSW program)
GRE: 161V/170Q/4W
Related experience: 3 global health internships during MPH (and RA...). Since graduation, 2 years full time research experience on public health studies in East Africa (sadly the studies just started when I joined and are all super long, so the first publication might not come out till next year).
Hope to apply to: U Washington, Columbia, Harvard, UNC (any of these would be a dream come true, and I know I might not be very realistic here), and some other schools...

Would really appreciate your advice on whether the low AW score would affect my application. Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. My verbal was near yours, your quant is much higher Han mine and I got the same aw score. I was accepted into most of the programs I applied to 4/5 - including top programs.

I think your personal statement is a better indicator of your ability to handle academic writing. After a certain gre/gpa threshold your personal statement, recommendation letters and fit with the department matter so much more.

Good luck!

You'll be fine. My verbal was near yours, your quant is much higher Han mine and I got the same aw score. I was accepted into most of the programs I applied to 4/5 - including top programs.

I think your personal statement is a better indicator of your ability to handle academic writing. After a certain gre/gpa threshold your personal statement, recommendation letters and fit with the department matter so much more.

Good luck!
Thank you and this is encouraging... Maybe I should also start a thread for 2015 phd applicants. I hope you are enjoying your program Dr!

Members don't see this ad :)
My question: is it worth it to pay $55 to re-assess my AW score? Would my good Q score help to balance the low AW?

Depends. Most universities use the GRE for screening. Doesn't matter what your score is so long as it's over the cutoff. I'm assuming that by now you've called schools you're interested in to find out how they treat the GRE (among other things). Are you over their cutoffs? If yes, then don't worry. If no, then you need to take the exam again.

Depends. Most universities use the GRE for screening. Doesn't matter what your score is so long as it's over the cutoff. I'm assuming that by now you've called schools you're interested in to find out how they treat the GRE (among other things). Are you over their cutoffs? If yes, then don't worry. If no, then you need to take the exam again.
Thank you Fedaykin! I did ask around, but most of the schools don't have a specific "cutoff" (esp. for AW). Some of them said my score was competitive because they didn't care so much about AW... I wish they could be more specific!

My GRE score is: Verbal:150; Quant:155; AW: 4.0. I took it three years back and was considering retaking it. However, I changed my mind when I got a global health research opportunity this summer. I am considering applying to some of the top schools too; and this post reminded me of my concerns.

As 2015iscoming mentioned, they don't really mention cutoff point. Some universities do have average scores of their previous years' admitted students. I am wondering, whether I should eliminate those universities if my score is below them. Any suggestions?

My GRE score is: Verbal:150; Quant:155; AW: 4.0. I took it three years back and was considering retaking it. However, I changed my mind when I got a global health research opportunity this summer. I am considering applying to some of the top schools too; and this post reminded me of my concerns.

As 2015iscoming mentioned, they don't really mention cutoff point. Some universities do have average scores of their previous years' admitted students. I am wondering, whether I should eliminate those universities if my score is below them. Any suggestions?
Three years is about the maximum time many schools will accept GREs for. Unless your application is going out in the next few weeks you may need to retake simply because the score is >3 years old.

Gre scores are good for 5 years and every school I applied to accepted scores up to 5 years old.

I would definitely re-take it with that score if you're applying to top schools. a 150 verbal is 48th percentile. Most top schools have averages of 80th percentile or higher in each category.

Also I don't think they look at AW scores at all. Your essays are a better indicator of your writing abilities, so don't stress about AW.

I would definitely re-take it with that score if you're applying to top schools. a 150 verbal is 48th percentile. Most top schools have averages of 80th percentile or higher in each category.

Also I don't think they look at AW scores at all. Your essays are a better indicator of your writing abilities, so don't stress about AW.

Agreed. Re-take.

I know this is an older thread, but thought I would post my question anyway. My GRE scores are: 165 verbal, 163 quant, and 3.5 AWA. I am very happy with the verbal and quant scores, but am really disappointed with the AWA. Should I retake it just for the AWA? I'm currently applying for a mix of MS and PhD programs in epi (definitely want to do research).

I know this is an older thread, but thought I would post my question anyway. My GRE scores are: 165 verbal, 163 quant, and 3.5 AWA. I am very happy with the verbal and quant scores, but am really disappointed with the AWA. Should I retake it just for the AWA? I'm currently applying for a mix of MS and PhD programs in epi (definitely want to do research).

As long as you have a good SoP, I wouldn't retake it for your AWA. A lot of programs (from what I've seen at least) don't care too much about that aspect of the GRE. You have great V and Q scores though, so that should help.

As long as you have a good SoP, I wouldn't retake it for your AWA. A lot of programs (from what I've seen at least) don't care too much about that aspect of the GRE. You have great V and Q scores though, so that should help.

Thanks for the response!