low BCP gpa acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiamed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.7culm, 3.47 science... but my bcp is a 3.27. With a high DAT can I overcome the low bcp and get an somewhere (dds)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yes definitely... I only have a 3.33 overall, 3.18 sci, and a 2.98 bcp and got an acceptance to UNLV (OOS).. DAT scores are in my signature

Edit: just noticed that you said "get an acceptance anywhere"... I don't know about anywhere, but you can definitely get an acceptance somewhere.

If by "anywhere" you mean "somewhere", I would say, of course you can get accepted. I have a low BCP and I had the opportunity to interview at Columbia, UCLA, etc.

Now, if by "anywhere" you mean "any dental school you have your heart set on" I would say, it might be a long shot at some more "prestigious" (whatever that means) schools.

This is only applicable if you are planning on applying early next cycle (in my opinion).

Start early and GOOD LUCK! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
yes definitely... I only have a 3.33 overall, 3.18 sci, and a 2.98 bcp and got an acceptance to UNLV (OOS).. DAT scores are in my signature

Edit: just noticed that you said "get an acceptance anywhere"... I don't know about anywhere, but you can definitely get an acceptance somewhere.

Thanks, I meant somewhere... not anywhere as in my heat's desire.

Also @mrg276, UNLV is a DMD. Sorry, I'm getting confused... is that the same as DDS? (newbie here!)

Last edited:
Thanks, I meant somewhere... not anywhere as in my heat's desire.

Also @mrg276, UNLV is a DMD. Sorry, I'm getting confused... is that the same as DDS? (newbie here!)

"The DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) and DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine) are the same degrees. Dentists who have a DMD or DDS have the same education. It’s up to the universities to determine what degree is awarded. Both degrees use the same curriculum requirements set by the American Dental Association."

http://www.mouthhealthy.org/az-topics/d/dds-dmd.aspx

Thanks for the replies everyone :).

What DAT score should I score to compensate for the BCP?

Thanks for the replies everyone :).

What DAT score should I score to compensate for the BCP?

Above 20's on Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry.

What major are you? If you are anything related to Biology or Chemistry, you should be fine because you I would assume you took higher level courses within that field. If you are an art major, it will be harder.

You will be fine. I had a 3.3 cumulative, 3.3 BCP, and a 3.15 science gpa with a 20AA 20TS and a 22PAT and I was accepted to Midwestern Illinois and just interviewed at Buffalo. Just make sure you have a good well rounded application with good ECs and letters of references and some shadowing experience.

@pinpoint: what would be harder? dat? I'm an environment major, so it prob won't be of help on the DAT, lol... if you're talking about in terms of grades, it won't count towards bcp =(

Thanks for the advice everyone