low bcp, shot at CA schools like UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiamed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from UCLA last year and decided I wanted to go into dentistry. Unfortunately, though my culm GPA is a 3.7 and I graduated w/ honors, my BCP is on the low side (at a 3.3). My science is a bit higher, haven't calculated it yet.

If I get a high DAT score, and A's in 2 science classes I'm taking next semester (at a CC), will I have a shot at UCLA? Can I offset the GPA w/ that high DAT (and how high)? It seems their bcp is on the high side at a 3.6.. :( & how about other California schools? I know USC is expensive, but they're "easier" to get into.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What made you decide to switch from med to dentistry? And since your BCP GPA is low, you might consider taking advanced science classes at a university as opposed to a CC to show that you can handle rigorous coursework, which is something UCLA dental definitely looks for.

What made you decide to switch from med to dentistry? And since your BCP GPA is low, you might consider taking advanced science classes at a university as opposed to a CC to show that you can handle rigorous coursework, which is something UCLA dental definitely looks for.
Parents wanted me to go med, I didn't. Took me a while to realize I truly wanted to pursue dentistry. I want to do uni but its expensive, besides I'm taking only 2 classes. But I was just wondering if a high DAT can offset the bcp if possible. And what score?

I would shoot for 23+ on DAT and I think you will have a great shot. Good luck.