Low board scores + DO..what programs do i have a shot at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alisepeep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am very interested in ER but my comlex and usmle are very low, would a better step 2 help? which programs do i have a shot at with low scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Take step 2 and try to do above average, make sure to apply to all AOA programs and you will match somewhere. Make sure to set up a few auditions at a program you wish to go to as well as a couple at easy/less competitive programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
How low is low? Sooooo many people say that and then post something like "I only got a 224" or "216" which, granted, is low but is definitely NOT so low that it would keep you from matching.

I am a DO and got a 217 on step 1 (539 on comlex) and matched ACGME. It can be done. Letters and audition rotations are more important, at least in my experience.

i am very interested in ER but my comlex and usmle are very low, would a better step 2 help? which programs do i have a shot at with low scores?

I was in a similar situation and ended up matching to an allopathic program. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

How low is low? Sooooo many people say that and then post something like "I only got a 224" or "216" which, granted, is low but is definitely NOT so low that it would keep you from matching.
200 USMLE and480 comlex

I know more than a couple of someone's (including someone who may have posted in this thread) that matched and had plenty of interviews with scores like that. All it takes is motivation, drive, improvement in Step 2, and good SLOEs saying that you're more than your numbers indicate and you should stand a fairly decent chance.

Only thing I have to add is don't restrict yourself geographically. This killed a few folks in my class dreams of matching EM. I know of someone with similar scores such as yourself who matched but this was due to him being open to move outside of his initial area of interests.

Reactions: 1 users
What about someone who will be applying during a DO TRI program. I know I am at disadvantage because I wont be able to audition anywhere but for two weeks. What is the best way to go about this, just apply broadly to DO and allopathic places? Will letter from my EM rotation during TRI help even though it isnt a residency program?

What about someone who will be applying during a DO TRI program. I know I am at disadvantage because I wont be able to audition anywhere but for two weeks. What is the best way to go about this, just apply broadly to DO and allopathic places? Will letter from my EM rotation during TRI help even though it isnt a residency program?

I would venture to guess strictly AOA since you won't be able to get a SLOE? Or will programs use the old ones?

Will a one year old SLOE from osteopathic program work?

Maybe for AOA not sure. Does your intern year not have elective time where you can rotate in an ed with a residency?

3 of the 4 places I interviewed at for a Traditional Rotating Internship didn't allow away rotations (1 allowed outside rotations with preceptors only).

So do you use year old sloe?

Pretty much. However, my last rotation of 4th year is an EM away rotation, so I'm planning on getting a new LOR from that. Also my TRI has an AOA EM residency, which I'm planning on getting a new letter from that which replaces one of my letters anyways (The TRI tries to accommodate us in regards to when we're scheduled for our goal field and electives). Also, intern year applicants are generally required to have a LOR from their program director, which is going to take 1 of the 4 LOR spots anyways. So I'm set up to likely have all new letters anyways. I might reuse one of my LORs simply so that I have at least 2 when applications open up.