Low cgpa, High sgpa and Mcat Non Trad URM MD School Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IdigMed916

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non traditional URM (Mexican Female) potential med school applicant with a 2.7 cgpa, 4.0 sgpa, 508 mcat score, 2000 ec hours working with socio-economically disadvantaged students and I have a passion for medicine.

My poor undergrad performance is directly related to some very difficult times which included; poverty, single parenting, abuse, and homelessness. Despite these factors, I managed to muster up enough internal encouragement to begin my dream, becoming a doctor.

Over the last year and a half I have managed to ace and complete 44 science units in my own version of a post bacc, maintaining a 4.0 and showing what I consider an upward trend in academics. I also took the mcat and scored a 508 on my 1st shot.

However, I do not know if I have done enough to merit admission into a US MD/DO school.
If not, is the Caribbean a viable option? As a mother of two time is of the essence, hence me not wanting to spend anymore time correcting my undergraduate career. Any thoughts, experience or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am going to move this to the What Are My Chances forum, but I'm also going to ask you to reformat your original post to make it more readable (you'll likely get better responses if you do). Check out the stickies at the top of the page (specifically the one I created) for a format template.

Reactions: 1 user
Even with that cGPA, I think you're golden. everyone loves a come-from-behind story. It's in our DNA.

Start with your state MD schools, the MD schools in the states next door (if any), any DO school, and all the HBCs. Then add SLU, Creighton, USC, BU, Gtown, Tulane and Rush.

I assume you have shadowing and patient contact volunteering?

I am a non traditional URM (Mexican Female) potential med school applicant with a 2.7 cgpa, 4.0 sgpa, 508 mcat score, 2000 ec hours working with socio-economically disadvantaged students and I have a passion for medicine.

My poor undergrad performance is directly related to some very difficult times which included; poverty, single parenting, abuse, and homelessness. Despite these factors, I managed to muster up enough internal encouragement to begin my dream, becoming a doctor.

Over the last year and a half I have managed to ace and complete 44 science units in my own version of a post bacc, maintaining a 4.0 and showing what I consider an upward trend in academics. I also took the mcat and scored a 508 on my 1st shot.

However, I do not know if I have done enough to merit admission into a US MD/DO school.
If not, is the Caribbean a viable option? As a mother of two time is of the essence, hence me not wanting to spend anymore time correcting my undergraduate career. Any thoughts, experience or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I have 200 hours shadowing a neurologist and 100 a pcp, both in clinical stettings.