low comlex scores and matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iggy0926

Iggy0926
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
scared. Have low comlex scores 420/422 and no interviews so far. Only applied to 40 programs . Should I be afraid?

Members don't see this ad.

COMLEX scores aren't the only thing that gets evaluated, but it could make the difference between one applicant and another. Programs want to make sure you're not going to have difficulty passing COMLEX 3 or the ABPN boards. If you have applied to that many programs and not heard from any, and assuming that you have applied to several non-competitive places, you might find yourself scrambling.

However, you may find that you'll get some invites in the next few weeks. I just did some digging through old emails and found that I was still getting invites through mid-November and some programs hold interviews in January. I'm applying for fellowships right now which has a bit of a different timetable, but for general residency I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
COMLEX scores aren't the only thing that gets evaluated, but it could make the difference between one applicant and another. Programs want to make sure you're not going to have difficulty passing COMLEX 3 or the ABPN boards. If you have applied to that many programs and not heard from any, and assuming that you have applied to several non-competitive places, you might find yourself scrambling.

However, you may find that you'll get some invites in the next few weeks. I just did some digging through old emails and found that I was still getting invites through mid-November and some programs hold interviews in January. I'm applying for fellowships right now which has a bit of a different timetable, but for general residency I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

thanks : ) . when should I worried. November, early December ? ALso when should I reach out to programs

I know some programs have sent out all their invites at this point. Looking back at my invites, I may have gotten one late, but I think most invites are sent out within 2 weeks of the dean's letter dropping.

If I may ask, did you concentrate your applications to a specific area of the country or was it fairly spread out?

thanks : ) . when should I worried. November, early December ? ALso when should I reach out to programs
I would think if you applied to 40 programs and haven't heard from anyone by Thanksgiving, your chances of landing an interview will be pretty slim. But you don't have to wait until then to reach out to them, and it doesn't hurt to let them know you're interested. A few weeks ago, I was concerned that I had not yet heard from a program I was very interested in, so I contacted the program coordinator by simply sending her an email, asking if there was still anything missing from my application. She replied the same day with an interview invite! You could also call and speak with them directly. If they've already sent out all their invites, they'd probably let you know. If they still have a lot of inviting to do, they'd probably let you know that, too. Keep in mind though, that late in the interview season, there will likely be many applicants who decide to cancel interviews because they feel comfortable with what they've had. At this point, if you are considered "waiting list" material, you might get a call when a spot opens up.

thanks :) gives me hope. I was going to wait til first week of November before emailing programs. Is that too soon