Low DAT, What can I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teeth10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my DAT on the 25th of this month. I got low scores so I have to retake it. My question is, is it even worth it? I already submitted my application but I know that the soonest you can take the exam is 3 months after the time you took it. By that time it will already be November, so I don't know if it is even worth it since schools release their decisions in the beginning of December.

Also, several schools are asking for the supplemental application fee but I am pretty sure I wont get in with the low scores I got. What should I do? Should I still pay? Should I just take it in march and wait for next cycle? I really do not know what to do.

AA:16
TS:17

Members don't see this ad.

Retake it when you can. Those scores are way below average for enrollee's. If you do amazing, you might have a chance at post-December interview and acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
How many schools did you apply to? My advice is just pay the secondaries and hope for the best on your next DAT.

It's either you are going to throw away $1000 or you can gamble $700 more to at least have a chance of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many schools did you apply to? My advice is just pay the secondaries and hope for the best on your next DAT.

It's either you are going to throw away $1000 or you can gamble $700 more to at least have a chance of acceptance.
I applied to 10 schools, made a huge investment. Should I pay them all or just the ones that i think I even have a shot for?

The real question is are you able to put out a real time commitment in the next 3 months to study for the DAT, or are you conflicted with work/school?

Reactions: 1 user
The real question is are you able to put out a real time commitment in the next 3 months to study for the DAT, or are you conflicted with work/school?
Yea that is my problem, I am back in school for my last semester of college. My work load is crazy, so deep inside I know it is better if I take it sometime in May next year. Should I just pay the supplemental fee for those schools with lower DAT average (Meharry, Howard, LSU) ? I know That with this DAT score my chances to get into any instate school is nearly impossible (New York).

Take it regardless. Any slight improvement on scores helps get you closer to your goal.

Yea that is my problem, I am back in school for my last semester of college. My work load is crazy, so deep inside I know it is better if I take it sometime in May next year. Should I just pay the supplemental fee for those schools with lower DAT average (Meharry, Howard, LSU) ? I know That with this DAT score my chances to get into any instate school is nearly impossible (New York).

I think that DAT is below cutoffs for all schools. If you only have one semester left you could always take your classes in January to have this semester free to study and retake the DAT. I think that's your best bet for not wasting money.

Buckle down for the next three months and study. I was in my last semester of graduate school, working 40+ hours a week at my internship, writing a thesis, and studying for the DAT. I got like 4 hours a sleep most nights and it was the worst month and a half of my life, but I got through it. You can too.

Buckle down for the next three months and study. I was in my last semester of graduate school, working 40+ hours a week at my internship, writing a thesis, and studying for the DAT. I got like 4 hours a sleep most nights and it was the worst month and a half of my life, but I got through it. You can too.
Thanks for the advice!