Low first year science gpa, should I switch to a science major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDwadup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm only a freshman but I'm a bit worried. I've always wanted to become a doctor but I went though some rough times with 5 close friends and family members passing away in the past 6 months (i know, no excuse). This lead to me getting 2 C+'s last semester in gen bio 1 and gen chem 1, and it looks like I'll end up with a B in gen chem 2 and an A in statistics. My overall gpa will be about a 3.35, and science gpa will be about a 2.84...dismal, I know. I know for sure that I have the intelligence, and with the drive and write work ethic I can get that up. However, I'm a non-science major (Poli Sci), so I'm afraid that with a limited number of science classes I wont even have the opportunity to improve my science gpa much. This is leading me to think about switching my major to bio. I do like bio, not as much as poli sci, but I wouldn't mind majoring in bio if it meant a higher chance to get accepted.

Anybody get into a US MD school with first year grades like those?

What are your thoughts on me switching my major?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

since when is close friends and family passing away not a legitimate excuse. That is something terrible, and I am sorry for your loss. This can definitely be used to explain your poor grades in the future.
One semester of poor grades won't kill your chances. Stay poly sci, and simply take more science courses. You don't need to be a science major to take science courses.

Do you think you can handle the major and do you enjoy it? If so, go for it

Members don't see this ad :)
My freshman year grades were far worse than a 2.84, and my science course grades were even lower. My suggestion is you should major in a subject you enjoy, even if it is pol sci, keeping in mind that one does not have to be a science major to apply to medical school. In fact, majoring in a non-science will help you stand out in a large group of bio major applicants.

You will have plenty of time to take upper-level science courses, which tend to be more interesting than the intro stuff.

I appreciate it guys.

I understand that you could get into medical school with any major, I just wasn't sure that I would have enough elective hours to take some upper division sciences to boost my gpa.

Have any of you guys gotten in, or known somebody that has gotten into medical school with first year grades like mine as non-science major?

thanks in advance!

be a science major, if you're up for it.

Hey guys,
So I'm only a freshman but I'm a bit worried. I've always wanted to become a doctor but I went though some rough times with 5 close friends and family members passing away in the past 6 months (i know, no excuse). This lead to me getting 2 C+'s last semester in gen bio 1 and gen chem 1, and it looks like I'll end up with a B in gen chem 2 and an A in statistics. My overall gpa will be about a 3.35, and science gpa will be about a 2.84...dismal, I know. I know for sure that I have the intelligence, and with the drive and write work ethic I can get that up. However, I'm a non-science major (Poli Sci), so I'm afraid that with a limited number of science classes I wont even have the opportunity to improve my science gpa much. This is leading me to think about switching my major to bio. I do like bio, not as much as poli sci, but I wouldn't mind majoring in bio if it meant a higher chance to get accepted.

Anybody get into a US MD school with first year grades like those?

What are your thoughts on me switching my major?

Thanks in advance!

Actually the passing of loved ones is plenty excuse for poor grades, we aren't invincible emotionally just because we are pre med. My father passed and I got withdrawals for my bad grades.

Stay poly sci, and simply take more science courses. You don't need to be a science major to take science courses.

This.

Don't major in science just to raise your science GPA. Stay with the major you enjoy, do well in the rest of your pre-reqs and do well in any upper level science classes you want to take to show that you can handle the material.