Low freshman grades, high upperclassman grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wayves

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So freshman year I had a rough start. My overall GPA is pretty reasonable for med school admissions (~3.7 but I haven't graduated yet). However, my freshman year grades were pretty low. The problem is that most of the classes I took freshman year were "core" classes or pre-med requirements.

Biology - B
Gen Chem - C+
Calculus - B+
I also took piano and a "public speaking" class but I did really well in those.

Now things are different. After I got over the freshman year hump my grades have been pretty stellar. Mostly As with the occasional B. I also am involved in undergraduate research, extracurriculars, and I spend my summers volunteering. How detrimental will the freshman year grades be?

Members don't see this ad.

General conventional wisdom around here seems to be that upward trends in GPA are a positive indication of an applicants growth and maturity. See if you can push your GPA as high as possible in the subsequent two semesters, and I doubt that your GPA alone will be held against you.

It probably won't make adcoms at top schools swoon either, so make sure you're not neglecting other important parts of an application!

There are plenty of people who struggle transitioning to college during their first (or even second or third) year of undergrad. What is important is that you consistently get good grades over a long-term period (multiple semesters or years) to show that you have successfully overcome it and are prepared for the rigors of med school. You are certainly on the right track--just keep up your grades to the end and make sure you have a well-rounded application and you will do great.