low gap and low mcat..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxfuturedoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad does a around 3.3 look with a mcat score of 18?

Would taking the mcat again and scoring significantly higher make up for the first score? Or will the fact that my gpa isn't that high along with the first mcat score always make the admissions question my commitment/capability to succeed in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely retake it. no reason to not retake it unless you no longer plan to be a doctor.

with your GPA, you are probably looking at needing a post-bacc and applying to DO schools for the grade replacement

Members don't see this ad :)
at this point i'm not sure even two 4.0's would help a ton. late on in the game is the hardest time to move that GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
You can raise that MCAT to at least a 30 with some moderate studying!! Don't give up :)

Reactions: 1 users
You can raise that MCAT to at least a 30 with some moderate studying!! Don't give up :)

Your current GPA/MCAT probably won't do. All it takes is hard work and discipline and you can achieve a high MCAT score.

Reactions: 2 users
Hard to say without seeing all of your credentials but in all likelihood you should/need to do a post bac.

A 30 is always a 30, but a 3.3 is always a 3.3. You have to attack the weak points of your application, and those are the MCAT and GPA. You would study to improve your MCAT score, so why wouldn't you do a postbacc to improve your GPA. You are only in the 10th percentile for 10 US MD schools. And three of those are Puerto Rico schools which basically require spanish fluency. Another three of those are Historical Black Colleges. I strongly suggest a lot of time studying for the MCAT and enrolling in a formal or informal post bacc to retake anything you got a C+ or lower in. You may be in a DO only range since they will do grade replacement. I think you would need a relatively high amount of credits at a very good GPA (think 3.8 or higher) to make up for your GPA right now for MD

Again, this is all speculative. You could *theoretically* get accepted somewhere now, or with a 3.3/30.

A 30 is always a 30, but a 3.3 is always a 3.3. You have to attack the weak points of your application, and those are the MCAT and GPA. You would study to improve your MCAT score, so why wouldn't you do a postbacc to improve your GPA. You are only in the 10th percentile for 10 US MD schools. And three of those are Puerto Rico schools which basically require spanish fluency. Another three of those are Historical Black Colleges. I strongly suggest a lot of time studying for the MCAT and enrolling in a formal or informal post bacc to retake anything you got a C+ or lower in. You may be in a DO only range since they will do grade replacement. I think you would need a relatively high amount of credits at a very good GPA (think 3.8 or higher) to make up for your GPA right now for MD

Again, this is all speculative. You could *theoretically* get accepted somewhere now, or with a 3.3/30.

I would like to suggest a formal post-bac program in your case. It will help with the MCAT bio section and it will give you guidance and structure.

I am currently scheduled to take the mcat on the 13th. I haven't gotten or beaten a score of 30 yet and my highest has been a 28. Would it be best to wait and continue studying for the new mcat?

I am currently scheduled to take the mcat on the 13th. I haven't gotten or beaten a score of 30 yet and my highest has been a 28. Would it be best to wait and continue studying for the new mcat?
Depends on you. A score of 28 can be competitive for a lot of DO schools if your GPA is not that low.

Are you the OP with a new account? If yes, I think you should take the test. A 28 is much better than an 18. A 28 puts you in striking range for lots of DO schools, but you probably still need a post bac.