low GPA, 2nd year undergrad. Chances of Optometry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeamjay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new on this forum site so I'm not entirely sure how posting threads work, but I'm giving this a shot since everything that I search on google leads me here.

Anyway,
I'm a second year undergrad at UCSD, currently majoring in human bio. I recently switched to human bio over the summer after I realized my first year that engineering was not for me. My first year, I mostly took classes that fulfilled my GE requirements for my specific college and not my major at the time (Structural Engineering), although I did take an Intro to Structural Engineering course, which was what made me decide to switch routes. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people about what to do with my life. I came across Optometry by accident and after doing a lot of research and asking questions, I fell in love with the idea of it. I just joined a pre-Optometry club at my school this year (2nd year). I only took one chem class my first year and I loved it. Since I didn't take any other science-related classes my first year, I'm pretty behind fulfilling the lower-division requirements for my human bio major. In addition to that, my GPA has been dropping tremendously. I ended Winter quarter 2015 with a 3.5 GPA. At the end of Spring quarter 2015, I dropped to a 2.8 after failing Physics and receiving a C- in Math. This past quarter, Fall 2015, I am currently receiving grades, but so far it's not looking so good (most likely, I'll be receiving C's for 3 classes). Honestly, I don't party, I don't drink, and I don't go out too much. I study really hard and yet I do so poorly on tests. I really do enjoy Bio and Chem but my grades are not making the cut.

With a GPA ranging from 2.4-2.8 my 2nd year, do I still have a chance to go into Optometry School? I have 2 years to fix it, but honestly if I'm already doing so bad in lower division classes, I don't know how I'm going to get better grades in upper division courses. I'm really stressed out about my grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm new on this forum site so I'm not entirely sure how posting threads work, but I'm giving this a shot since everything that I search on google leads me here.

Anyway,
I'm a second year undergrad at UCSD, currently majoring in human bio. I recently switched to human bio over the summer after I realized my first year that engineering was not for me. My first year, I mostly took classes that fulfilled my GE requirements for my specific college and not my major at the time (Structural Engineering), although I did take an Intro to Structural Engineering course, which was what made me decide to switch routes. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people about what to do with my life. I came across Optometry by accident and after doing a lot of research and asking questions, I fell in love with the idea of it. I just joined a pre-Optometry club at my school this year (2nd year). I only took one chem class my first year and I loved it. Since I didn't take any other science-related classes my first year, I'm pretty behind fulfilling the lower-division requirements for my human bio major. In addition to that, my GPA has been dropping tremendously. I ended Winter quarter 2015 with a 3.5 GPA. At the end of Spring quarter 2015, I dropped to a 2.8 after failing Physics and receiving a C- in Math. This past quarter, Fall 2015, I am currently receiving grades, but so far it's not looking so good (most likely, I'll be receiving C's for 3 classes). Honestly, I don't party, I don't drink, and I don't go out too much. I study really hard and yet I do so poorly on tests. I really do enjoy Bio and Chem but my grades are not making the cut.

With a GPA ranging from 2.4-2.8 my 2nd year, do I still have a chance to go into Optometry School? I have 2 years to fix it, but honestly if I'm already doing so bad in lower division classes, I don't know how I'm going to get better grades in upper division courses. I'm really stressed out about my grades.

From what I've seen most people do badly in their first years of undergrad because they don't know how to study well. Do you know why you're receiving low grades? If not, I would get some academic help from the professors themselves or some sort of advisor. Go into your professors office hours and be honest with them - tell them you're not doing well in class and you would like help on how to study and what you should be doing to perform well in their class. This is their job. Getting good grades in college is more about adjusting to the system rather than being "smart." You can retake classes you did poorly in and get a better grade to show that you improved your learning style. Adcoms love stories of upward trends and improvement.

You have time to raise your GPA, but you're gonna need to bring that C average up to an A. I've heard people saying they know someone who got in with a 2.x GPA, but you really don't wanna be in that position (in fact, it worries me that people with such low stats are gaining acceptance). I would aim to finish with a 3.3+ come application time.

Once you figure it out, start going out and have some fun. You're only in college for a short amount of time.

Good luck.

Honestly, I don't party, I don't drink, and I don't go out too much. I study really hard and yet I do so poorly on tests. I really do enjoy Bio and Chem but my grades are not making the cut.

Wow, I think I just heard my own life story. I was a stellar high school student, and thoroughly got my ass kicked in undergrad with lower division courses even though I spent most of my time studying.

It took me 2 years to realize that I had to study smarter...not harder.
I was awful at learning in large lectures with only powerpoint slides, and realized that just memorizing and reading the slides did not help me at all.
After I found my interest in optometry, I signed up and went to smaller tutoring sessions, sat in the front row and attended every class, went to TA and prof. office hours prepared with questions, and formed study groups with smarter students who could explain crucial concepts to me.
The point is, find out why you're not doing well. Is it because you're not comprehending the material ? Are you not interested in the subject matter? Realize quickly that there's no single fix-all solution, but if you've found your passion, you'll find a way to make it happen.

I found upper division courses much easier to to do well in because the classes were a lot smaller. Fast forward a couple years and I graduated near the top of my class in optometry school...you can do it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I think I just heard my own life story. I was a stellar high school student, and thoroughly got my ass kicked in undergrad with lower division courses even though I spent most of my time studying.

It took me 2 years to realize that I had to study smarter...not harder.
I was awful at learning in large lectures with only powerpoint slides, and realized that just memorizing and reading the slides did not help me at all.
After I found my interest in optometry, I signed up and went to smaller tutoring sessions, sat in the front row and attended every class, went to TA and prof. office hours prepared with questions, and formed study groups with smarter students who could explain crucial concepts to me.
The point is, find out why you're not doing well. Is it because you're not comprehending the matefial ? Are you not interested in the subject matter? There's no single fix-all solution, but if you've found your passion you'll find a way to make it happen.

I found upper division courses much easier to to do well in because the classes were a lot smaller. Fast forward a couple years and I graduated near the top of my class in optometry school...you can do it!

Wow, this is really inspiring. Thank you so much for replying. I've actually sat down and thought about why I'm not doing so well. I think my studying methods are not the best, I tried doing the same thing- memorizing slides and listening to podcasts. But I've realized that's not enough. I thought I can study on my own because I thought I work best by myself, but I realize now that I need to get out there and talk to my professors, TA's and get some help. I will start doing that next quarter. Wish me the best, and thank you again!

From what I've seen most people do badly in their first years of undergrad because they don't know how to study well. Do you know why you're receiving low grades? If not, I would get some academic help from the professors themselves or some sort of advisor. Go into your professors office hours and be honest with them - tell them you're not doing well in class and you would like help on how to study and what you should be doing to perform well in their class. This is their job. Getting good grades in college is more about adjusting to the system rather than being "smart." You can retake classes you did poorly in and get a better grade to show that you improved your learning style. Adcoms love stories of upward trends and improvement.

You have time to raise your GPA, but you're gonna need to bring that C average up to an A. I've heard people saying they know someone who got in with a 2.x GPA, but you really don't wanna be in that position (in fact, it worries me that people with such low stats are gaining acceptance). I would aim to finish with a 3.3+ come application time.

Once you figure it out, start going out and have some fun. You're only in college for a short amount of time.

Good luck.

I've realized that my studying methods are not the best. I usually like to study on my own because I focus more working alone. I barely seek help from professors and TA's, and I think that's where I fault. I realize now that I need to get out there more and maybe form study groups, ask more questions, etc.

It's a learning experience, but eventually I think I'll get the hang of it. Thank you for your advice!

Reactions: 1 user