General Admissions & OTCAS Low GPA acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOT4246

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I got accepted my first time applying, with a very low gpa. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to give tips and discuss credentials over private messages. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone! I got accepted my first time applying, with a very low gpa. If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to give tips and discuss credentials over private messages. Best of luck!

Can you tell us anything here in this thread?

Like region your stats that you applied with and circumstances that may of helped you with admissions?

I would like to know what you did. I'm in the same situation of having a low GPA and i'm very concerned on what I can do to improve my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell us anything here in this thread?

Like region your stats that you applied with and circumstances that may of helped you with admissions?

can I second this, please?

How can I get in contact with you? I would like to discuss how you made up for low gpa!

Some people also have different ideas about what a "low GPA" is.....

Reactions: 1 user
I also got in to a few schools with a 3.4 GPA and a 3.0 pre req avg GPA! would be happy to help with any questions as well

Reactions: 3 users
I also got in to a few schools with a 3.4 GPA and a 3.0 pre req avg GPA! would be happy to help with any questions as well

YESSSSSS! My concern is both my overall GPA AND my pre-req GPA & just seeing that you have the same pre-req GPA as mine made me feel a lot better. Did you retake any courses? Also, what do you think might have strengthened your application because of a lower GPA? How many observation hours do you have? Where did you apply?

Like I said, my overall GPA is probably around a 3.3, and my pre-req is around a 3.0 too. I was debating retaking A&P because it is one of the biggest pre-req courses, BUT I was an undergraduate Teaching Assistant for it, so I feel that my "decent" grade in that class might have been balanced out by that?

care to share the schools??

Reactions: 1 users
YESSSSSS! My concern is both my overall GPA AND my pre-req GPA & just seeing that you have the same pre-req GPA as mine made me feel a lot better. Did you retake any courses? Also, what do you think might have strengthened your application because of a lower GPA? How many observation hours do you have? Where did you apply?

Like I said, my overall GPA is probably around a 3.3, and my pre-req is around a 3.0 too. I was debating retaking A&P because it is one of the biggest pre-req courses, BUT I was an undergraduate Teaching Assistant for it, so I feel that my "decent" grade in that class might have been balanced out by that?

I didn't retake any courses, but I did take 3 online classes at a local college for some prereqs I didnt do in undergrad. That might have helped my GPA as well. I had A LOT of observation hours because my undergrad major required 400 hour internship. I did the internship at 3 different settings as well to get a feel for everything. I applied to 8 schools. If you want to know any in particular feel free to message me!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I just saw your forum, what exactly did you consider a lower GPA. Because mine is so low that it's embarrassing it's right above a 2.0. Please let me know what you did anyway to get accepted. And congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

would it be okay if I messaged you

I didn't retake any courses, but I did take 3 online classes at a local college for some prereqs I didnt do in undergrad. That might have helped my GPA as well. I had A LOT of observation hours because my undergrad major required 400 hour internship. I did the internship at 3 different settings as well to get a feel for everything. I applied to 8 schools. If you want to know any in particular feel free to message me!!

Hi
I am wondering what schools did you apply? would you mind to share? thank you. I have low GPA too

Yes, please! Everyone who thinks they have a "low" GPA please share!!! Give me hope!!!!!

Also, it's probably not helpful that the person who posted this thread was last active in July......

I have a low GPA and just found out i have an Interview for a school! some hope!

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

UPPPDATE:
Major: Cognitive science with minors in disability studies and psych
GPA 3.04 (so i do have a low gpa sadly) :(
Prereq gpa 3.2-3.3
GRE: V:152 Q150 W 4.5
100+ observation hours in 4 settings
I've worked lots of jobs but currently am an ABA therapist

I interviewed for Chatham and Thomas Jefferson and have another for MGH in Feb !

Last edited:
Prereq gpa 3.2-3.3
that's not terrible. I think you have fine stats. Maybe you wont get into the top UW, BU or whatever..but you'll def be invited for interviews and considered. you have a high writing score, and your GRE stats allow you to apply to most programs. You can always explain your lower GPA...Did you apply this year for F2017? have you heard back from anywhere? Good luck!

I was wondering if anyone had any thought about tuition cost/program ranking and perspective job outcome...
I'm wondering if I take a seat at a program that isn't highly ranked, will it effect my likelihood of job placement once I've taken the boards test? Does anyone know? School tuition is ridiculous right now, and DROT programs are more costly due to the additional year...I'm not sure if I should focus on keeping tuition cost as low as possible or if I should be concerned about school ranking...any advise would help!! Thanks

Prereq gpa 3.2-3.3
Your GRE scores are great! Sadly I have to rely on applying to schools who look at the last 60 credits since my cum GPA is terrible. Where did you get an interview?

Your GRE scores are great! Sadly I have to rely on applying to schools who look at the last 60 credits since my cum GPA is terrible. Where did you get an interview?
Chatham university! Just had it :)

that's not terrible. I think you have fine stats. Maybe you wont get into the top UW, BU or whatever..but you'll def be invited for interviews and considered. you have a high writing score, and your GRE stats allow you to apply to most programs. You can always explain your lower GPA...Did you apply this year for F2017? have you heard back from anywhere? Good luck!

Thanks, so far only headd back from Chatham u. Good luck to you.