Low gpa and high dat should I even apply? worried...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itsover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a gpa of 2.8 and my dat is 26 and i have a year left in school.
due to personal issue I failed classes on my last semester. I was thinking taking those classes along with upper level science classes for next year but do dental school look at up coming classes you are going to be taking as a consideration?

and for smp program, do i need to take gre or do they accept dat as a replacement?
I am not sure what I should do.

for extra: I shadowed dentists, researched in the dental school for oral bacteria for 2 years, worked for patient research for diabetes patients, volunteered for dental retreat past summer

Thank you for your time guys

Members don't see this ad.

Call a school and ask them what to do. A situation with a 2.8 GPA and a 26 DAT is incredibly rare.

i would say get it above 3.0 bcp and then apply

Members don't see this ad :)
talk to schools. I'm in a very similar situation. I talked to a few ADCOMS and they encouraged me to apply this cycle. One of them told me they would even help me out with my personal statement! And they even invited me for a summer workshop. So talk to schools before you make any decision. I know someone that got accepted with a 2.8 overall GPA last cycle (without post-bad or SMP or whatever).

I posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to give you all my story as well.

I have a 3.2 sci GPA (poor undergrad, good masters)
I had a rough time during undergrad; my father was very sick, then there was a divorce, plus I was aimless. I don't know what I was thinking, but my overall GPA was roughly 2.75 (95% non science). After I graduated with a music major, I wrote an album, taught music around town - even directed music for a school play, however I found the lifestyle unsatisfying. So I decided to do pre-health, did some post-bacc science and got a job at a hospital, then enrolled in a rigorous masters program. It worked out well; I turned over a new leaf.

~ 21 DAT
~ I did my masters (with thesis) in a medical school curriculum and got all A's and B's. It is the same school I hope to get into for dental.
~ 3 scientific publications (paleontology, which is largely the study of tooth morphology)
~ URM (African)
~ I have great EC's: 1 year of hospital work (scribe), ~ 100 volunteer hours playing music in various hospitals and charities, jazz musician within 5 instruments (violin, guitar, bass, percussion, mandolin), ~ 500 tutoring hours within music, sciences and philosophy at the school I hope to get into, lead roles in 9 plays, high school state runner up in track and field.
~ Letter of Recs are good, one comes from a professor (my mentor) in the dental school who was previously on the admissions committee.
~ Around 100 shadowing hours with a busy dental clinic.

I wonder what you think of my odds? Did I blow it in undergrad? I am the kind of student who was always good with his hands and involved in everything, from music, theater, science, athletics - but my grades were a problem until my masters where I pulled it up. I know many students do 4.00 in masters programs, but mine was especially challenging - it was with med students (SMP with thesis) and I consistently scored above average.

Well, hit me. What do you think?

Reactions: 1 user
I posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to give you all my story as well.
Well, hit me. What do you think?

I'm an undergrad so I don't know as much about admissions as a dental student would, but to me, you seem like a very unique applicant. I'd like to have you at my school if I had one haha

It's been two weeks without hearing anything from DSs. Does this mean that those schools that are inviting students who submitted their application later than me are no longer considering my application for admission? I'm worried

It's been two weeks without hearing anything from DSs. Does this mean that those schools that are inviting students who submitted their application later than me are no longer considering my application for admission? I'm worried

Be patient man. I can see you at the bottom of your post your DAT scores. Those are really good and you'll get in. You just gotta wait for those 4.0ers for the first month, then everything will start coming to you.