MD Low GPA and high MCAT score (522)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KasVie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about applying to a SMP program, but I'm sure my GPA (2.8) is not up to par. I was thinking about applying to UNTHSC.
Are my chances of being excepted into their SMP program low, or do I have a chance based on my MCAT (522)?
Any input is highly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are SMPs that might accept you with this GPA but ideally the goal should be to get the GPA >3.0. Itll help yourself alot after you complete an SMP as there are certainly MD schools that will screen out a <3.0 unofficially. Get the GPA>3.0 now, do well in an SMP and itll make life easier on yourself after the SMP when you apply to MD schools. Just because an SMP takes you now, doesnt necessairly mean you should run and accept the offer.

There is certainly a track record of people with this discordance doing well in SMPs and getting into MD schools. Itll make things easier on yourself though if you can get your GPA >3.0.

Should also be worth asking what is your sGPA?

There are SMPs that might accept you with this GPA but ideally the goal should be to get the GPA >3.0. Itll help yourself alot after you complete an SMP as there are certainly MD schools that will screen out a <3.0 unofficially. Get the GPA>3.0 now, do well in an SMP and itll make life easier on yourself after the SMP when you apply to MD schools. Just because an SMP takes you now, doesnt necessairly mean you should run and accept the offer.

There is certainly a track record of people with this discordance doing well in SMPs and getting into MD schools. Itll make things easier on yourself though if you can get your GPA >3.0.

Should also be worth asking what is your sGPA?

Thanks for the info
My sGPA is a 3.06 :(
I know it's pretty low, I had some really bad freshman and sophomore grades.