Low GPA and running out of options!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am wondering if you are still pursuing medical schools because your status says " pharmacy student." Congrats on your new grades.

Members don't see this ad.

I happened to be lucky, but that post is exactly where I got my motivation to really teach myself how to study. I became super organized and just studied like crazy. I also met with the teachers and developed a more personal experience to the class which really engaged me more in the material. UNCG I found to be easy because even though I took the toughest classes they had to offer for the most part, they were VERY interestimng. Psychopharmacology was an amazing course even though the teacher is VERY tough and a little nutty.

Thank you for all the updates, man, they help to keep me motivated.

I'm really glad to see this is at least helping some people. I decided to update everyone on my progress to date:

So far:
Graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill with low science gpa and cum.
Went into post-bacc program at UNC-Greensboro and did very well for that year but it only put me at around a 3.0 cum and science. I did finish my last semester at UNCG with a 3.9 though.
Moved back to NJ...

Since I moved back top NJ I took the Kaplan MCAT course and after that I decided I was going to give up on Med school and go to Law school. Ended all the MCAT work and took the LSAT and applied to Law school...AND GOT IN! HAHA. I made this decision because I took a job with as a surgical consultant with a tissue donation company and work with surgeons on allograft choices in sports medicine. Well I spoke to MANY surgeons who heavily discouraged my aspirations for medical school and I learned what the field of medicine is really like. It's not all that pretty...according to these guys.

Well about 8 months after I stopped the MCAT studying and in the midst of applying to Law schools and working full time I decided to take the MCAT. I took it because I needed to at least know how I would have done. Mind you, I gave up completely on sciences and hadn't read anything science related in about 8 months. I took it and got a 23Q. Not admission worthy but hey, I was happy considering I was pretty sure I forgot most of what I studied.

I am now over a year past taking the mcat and have decided no matter which way I look at it, I want to be a doctor. I tried to fight it, I really did, and even had a letter sealed to law school with my down payment. Last minute (and I mean last minute) I threw an application out to UMDNJ-GSBS and will be entering the masters program in the fall of 2011.

My goal is to continue to work full time while in the masters program and improve my contacts as I live in New Brunswick and consult directly with many ortho surgeons associated with RWJ through my job.

Right now I am 25 and I am hoping that worst case scenario, I will be graduating medical school at 31.

Thank you for sharing YOUR testimony, I am rooting for you and am keeping you in my prayers. I felt very down because I too have a very low science GPA 2.4 and am taking an upper division class ( Biochem) started out real shaky but I am determined to do well. I am applying to post-bacc programs. I do claim that I will have graduated from medical school before my 30th birthday, I am 24 now.

Best wishes and please keep us updated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for having the courage to tell your story and etc. Reading these threads are giving me hope; I'm about to graduate from my undergrad with a 2.5 science g.p.a (mostly b's and c's) and 3.3 cum g.p.a.
I want to apply to UNC CH for their dental program, but with such a low sci g.p.a, I'm leaning towards applying for the post-bacc program at UNC-G and hoping to enter in fall 2012, building up my academic credentials (i've got plenty of leadership experience and volunteer hours) apply to dental school spring 2013 and see where that takes me.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is NOT an act, but rather a habit."

Hello all! I too graduated from UNC chapel hill (in May 2011) with a 2.5 GPA (cumulative) and with a desire to pursue medical school. I have been told to give up on that hope but I simply refuse. I reevaluated what I did wrong in my undergrad career and immediately enrolled in classes at a University in my hometown. The classes I enrolled in were science classes such as physics, orgo, all that good stuff. Got my grades back and I'm doing MUUUCH better than I've done before. All A's and one B (which was Physics I). Right now I'm looking into SMP programs and I'm just kind of taking it from there. Next semester I plan to do as well if not better.

I never comment on these forums but this post is really inspiring, (especially since the OP is a fellow Tar Heel :) )

Just wanted to lend a little encouragement to anybody in the same shoes as I.

Haven't updated this in a loong time.

Had an interview for a school and am waiting to find out the final decision. My chances are pretty slim still because my MCAT is very low. I haven't had much of a chance to study for the MCAT working full time and being enrolled in an SMP. So far I have a 4.0 with one class left in the SMP which sets me up VERY well to apply next year if I do not get in this year.

Updates as they come...

Reactions: 1 users
Had an interview for a school and am waiting to find out the final decision. My chances are pretty slim still because my MCAT is very low. I haven't had much of a chance to study for the MCAT working full time and being enrolled in an SMP. So far I have a 4.0 with one class left in the SMP which sets me up VERY well to apply next year if I do not get in this year.

Updates as they come...
Not if your MCAT is still a 23....

Well I figured I would update this now that school has begun...

It looks like the last time I updated I had just interviewed the first time. I had a pretty bad experience during that interview. This was mostly because I did not control the interview. I let the interviewer lead the interview and they did not seem to want to be there at all.

Anyway, since then I have interviewed again and was accepted into the class of 2018! I am officially a medical student....AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

I took the long road and even though I sometimes hated it along the way, I couldn't be happier. I was able to mature and truly figure out what I wanted in the years since I graduated. I have to get back to work but I just wanted to update those of you out there who are wavering as to whether you will have to give up on your dream or not...keep at it, persistence is key.

I have had easily 100 people tell me to find something else, I was accepted into Law School, started a business, and had a 6-figure paying job that allowed me enormous amounts of free time in the 6 years since I graduated college. And I had one hell of a good/bad/unbelievable/amazing/fulfilling time doing it.

But ultimately, I want to be a doctor...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Dude, go you. You rock. Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope you keep up the good work in medical school :)

Well I figured I would update this now that school has begun...

It looks like the last time I updated I had just interviewed the first time. I had a pretty bad experience during that interview. This was mostly because I did not control the interview. I let the interviewer lead the interview and they did not seem to want to be there at all.

Anyway, since then I have interviewed again and was accepted into the class of 2018! I am officially a medical student....AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

I took the long road and even though I sometimes hated it along the way, I couldn't be happier. I was able to mature and truly figure out what I wanted in the years since I graduated. I have to get back to work but I just wanted to update those of you out there who are wavering as to whether you will have to give up on your dream or not...keep at it, persistence is key.

I have had easily 100 people tell me to find something else, I was accepted into Law School, started a business, and had a 6-figure paying job that allowed me enormous amounts of free time in the 6 years since I graduated college. And I had a hell one heck of a good/bad/unbelievable/amazing/fulfilling time doing it.

But ultimately, I want to be a doctor...

Seriously, I think this is golden. Just love how you ended it! The best in your MS education and practice. :thumbup: