Low GPA at Penn Dental can I still Specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulflower

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a first year at Penn and I'm really not doing so well in my classes. I have like a 3.25 right now. I am working really hard...but I guess I am not as efficient. I'm working on a strategy to bring up my GPA, but I am really worried. I came here wanting to specialize, but now I'm afraid I can't. If anyone here went to Penn or is a 3rd or 4th year at Penn, could you please tell me if I'm out of the running for specializing? I've heard mixed things, one 4th year told me you need a 3.7+ to even be considered for specializing, and then a 3rd year told me he knows of people who were accepted to endo with 3.5s. Please advise! I'm a total wreck right now...SO WORRIED :(

Members don't see this ad.

Courtesy Bump.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay you two, I'll bite. D2 so maybe not as helpful as the D3's and D4's but I'll chip in my two cents. First off, yes you're going to have to bring up your GPA if you want to be in a good place to specialize. That being said its not the end of the world, you've got three years to bring up your GPAs. People get accepted all the time with 3.5's and 3.6's etc so its not like you've ruined yourselves. My advice is (after your cadaver practical) take some time to figure out what is making you inefficient while you study. Too much time on facebook, not starting studying early enough, or maybe how you are studying etc. Other things that you've probably learned by now, don't compare yourselves to your classmates because everyone is different. Just cause Johnny and Susie start studying at a certain time and study one way doesn't mean that's how you should approach things. If all else fails make an appointment to talk to people at Weingarten Learning Center and let them help you evaluate your studying.

Also please don't get into that spiral where you are just super stressed about this and then let that interfere with your studying. There is no shame in going to CAPs or heck even just go for a run or walk to clear your heads. Anyways good luck to you both, hope that was at least a little helpful

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Any tips for rocking 2nd year? Finished off half decent with about a 3.5 at this point...Worried about GRD 2 though, and Path...

Maybe you could go talk to Sue Schwartz and ask her what she thinks because she really has her ear to the ground so to speak. I have found her very approachable and helpful on a number of matters.