Low GPA Avg MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolatenutz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I graduated from a decent university last year with a cGPA of 3.2 and sGPA of 3.1. I just took the MCAT and will be getting the score soon. On the AAMC practice I usually get 35-38, but let's assume that I only get a 33 on the real thing. I've done research during the summers at NIH for all four years in college with a third author paper and current a post bac at NIH. I've done volunteering at the hospital, and shadowing 50 hrs +.
What are my chances at low tier MD schools and DO schools? Also can anybody recommend any schools in particular that matches my stats? I really appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think your chances at a MD program are very slim with that GPA, Unless the rest of your app is really stellar.

What about DO schools? Should I even send any apps to MD schools if my chances are really low? Also, should I consider Caribbean schools as alternative?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were me, I would try the MD schools if my MCAT score was good. However, I would not be optimistic. I would think you would be competitive at DO schools. I think I would give the DO schools a shot first before looking at the offshore schools but it depends on how much you want the MD.

Personally I don't care if I get a MD or DO. Also what are my chances at the SMPs like Georgetown or EVMS? I heard the chances of getting into a med school if you get a 3.6+ in the SMP is really high. Is it worth it to take an extra year or two to study in these program then get into a MD school or is it better to get into a DO school early? Please feel free to comment !!!!

Hi everybody. I graduated from a decent university last year with a cGPA of 3.2 and sGPA of 3.1. I just took the MCAT and will be getting the score soon. On the AAMC practice I usually get 35-38, but let's assume that I only get a 33 on the real thing.

What are my chances at low tier MD schools and DO schools?

Personally I don't care if I get a MD or DO. Also what are my chances at the SMPs like Georgetown or EVMS?
You can see your chances at MD schools based on different MCAT outcomes here:
https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf

You would be competitive for SMPs with an MCAT of 30+, provided you have a recent upward grade trend in the sciences to demonstrate that you have the capability of excelling in upper-level Bio.