Low GPA, but high grade trend, several years as Air Force officer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gleeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. This is my first post. Thanks for reading. I am almost 23, graduating undergrad after one more semester with a Political Science degree. It will have taken me 5 1/2 years to graduate college. I started out pre-med and bombed it. So, after two years, I changed my major (why it has taken me so long). My overall GPA when I graduate will be about a 3.2. When I was pre-med, I had a really low GPA (around 2.0). But, I have only taken one biology, two chemistry. So, I have a really high grade trend. I am going into the Air Force as an officer with hopes of a 4-5 year tenure there. My question is this: If I re-take the science classes I already have taken and take the additional pre-reqs for med school while in the USAF and do really well on them, then take the MCAT and get a good score, do I have a shot at med school? Or did I pretty much screw my entire life with some mistakes I made when I was 18-20? I was immature back then, but I like to think I have changed dramatically in the last three years, and will even get better while in the Air Force. I'm wondering if I can make up for those mistakes in the eyes of the admissions people. I'm from Georgia, so Georgia Health Sciences University or Emory or Vanderbilt would be ideal. Thanks everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, a 3.2 won't put you out of the running. It's on the low side but not low enough to put you out of the competition. Since you've only taken 3 science classes you'll have a lot to take. The benefit of this is it should raise your GPA some and when you apply you'll have a science GPA calculated separately and you have room to get this much higher. It's a given you'll want a 4.0 from here on out in the rest of your basics and perhaps a few upper level sciences as well. Navy officer gives you outstanding leadership opportunities. You might also have a chance to get some fairly unique extra curriculars.

I can't comment though on how accessible classes will be to you. You may be able to finish while in the AF or you might barely get any classes done and have to do a post bac after you get out. Point is you're not screwed by any means and it's very possible in the future one way or another.