Low gpa but want in on CA Pharm schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mandy46

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacy schools are only getting more competitive every year, which is why I want to ask if there is ANY way I could have a good chance at a California pharmacy school (USC, Western, UCSF, UCSD, UOP, LLU, and Torro and possible a new one in norcal i heard somewhere?).

I am a junior, haven't finished all the pre-reqs, although I will be able to within my senior year while getting my B.S. in BioSci-medical biology. I need to take Anatomy & physiology series and speech during summer. Unfortunately, I got a C- in Microbiology and a C- in the first quarter of Physics, so I'll totally need to retake it just to get thru all the pre-reqs. As you can see, my grades aren't competitive (currently I have a cum. 2.9 since i sucked at entomology and the 2nd part of bch; my sci. gpa is 3.1) It's horrible, but I know that if I re-take the classes I got a C- in, my gpa will improve.

That brings up one of my questions - can I get into any of the schools with retakes?

Also, should I take a chance and apply this year for fall 2009? By then I will have my BS, and could start right away if I got in. If I get rejected, at least I tried and could do it again the following year with a better gpa and more LORs to choose from and more time to volunteer at a pharmacy (I've jobshadowed 2 pharmacists though). On a somewhat related note, in a kind of explanatory excuse for my shortcomings-my first job was at the Sweet Factory in a mall, which took a lot of time out of my hands for a whole year while I was taking biology and ochem =/ , so I don't have a lot of volunteer hours from the past 2 years -- only this year.

Anyways, I guess my main concern is whether pharmacy schools will accept me although I have classes to re-take in order to fulfill pre.reqs, or not. I plan on having 3 really great LORs, by the way..Have 2 already, just need a professor from this quarter which hopefully I will have by June when the application period opens.

Sorry, one more thing if anyone can answer: CA schools don't require the PCAT, but have any of you taken them anyway since you had a low gpa?

thanks guys, to all of you who might have read this far....

Members don't see this ad.

muhleesah,

I'm sorry to be honest but since your GPA is low... I would consider taking an extra year and improve those grades. At the same time, it seems like you don't have a lot of other extracurricular activities so use that extra year to built it up. I don't know if you have any research or not. But you might want to consider taking the PCAT and applying outside of CA. CA schools is very competitive so you have to distinguish yourself from other applicants. I know a lot of people would like to stay in CA but it's your life you're looking at...don't sell it short by limiting the schools to apply for. It's only a few years and you can always come back to work in CA when you're done.

I had similar stats to yours, although my sci GPA is a bit higher, my overall is about the same and I can honestly tell you that your chances of getting into a California Pharmacy school is basically 0%.

i have 6 years of research under my belt, 1 year retail, 1 year clinical volunteer, 6 years of related to healthcare job experience (i'm 24, i started kind of early). I think i have great letters of rec, as i wrote them myself and had them signed by the VP of my research company, school professor and a pharmacist. Needless to say, I didn't get any interviews, as a matter of fact, tuoro didn't even invite me to fill out a secondary (what a load of crap).

If i were you, I'd apply to UOP and Western, as applying to UCSF, UCSD and USC would be a huge waste of money. UOP and Western sometimes make an unexplainable, irrational decision with their acceptances. I've had a friend with a 2.8 GPA get accepted to Western, although her application was filled with lot's of pharm related goodies.

My suggestion is to apply to nearby states, take the PCAT and ace it up! I took the PCAT and got a 99%, if you went to a UC school you'll find that you're already very well prepared to do really well on the PCAT.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions. I was in your boat last year, so I know what's up!

p.s. A friend at USC tells me that although USC doesn't count the PCAT, doing really well on it can actually help you... however, with your GPA, USC just isn't very realistic.

p.p.s. as you can see, im leaving CA to go to school in MD, it's going to be costly, but it';s a wonderful program. don't be afraid of expanding your horizons!

Members don't see this ad :)
gpa wise you are kind of on the rocks. if you had at least a cum 3.0 gpa then i'd have no hesitation at all to tell you to try applying no matter what (doesn't hurt anything except your wallet to try right?). but since u will be retaking some classes and since u still have a whole year of school left i'm sure u can bring that up.

the reason i am optimistic for you is because i applied with a 3.1 cum gpa and a 3.2 science gpa and my application results in Cali were as follows
UCSF - interview then rejected
USC - interview then waitlisted
Western - interviewed and accepted

i also took a couple of courses twice: biochem and molec bio

my suggestion to you is maybe trying to get involved in something that you could relate to the pharmacy profession aside from volunteering/working in a pharmacy. for example, i did some research in spain on antibiotics and then i worked at ucsd in the pharmacology department so i'm pretty sure that was most of the reason why my application did good. you have a whole year left so if you're at a university try to get yourself into some sort of research lab.

AdComs can be very subjective, and forgive a lot of things, but...
Your GPA seems to be a big part of your initial application, and will be at least a part of getting your foot in the door for an interview (look at AbsoluteC2OH and his Touro experience). Past that point it is really in your hands and the GPA is only a part of your App! (for example Drug Doc got into Western with a 3.1/3.2 whereas I am wait listed there and I have a 3.3/3.5 GPA, so there is obviously more to it than just GPA).

Your best bet, if you want into a CA school is to get your GPA up above 3.0, competition is fierce here in the sunshine. This was my second year applying, and if I hadn't been accepted at Touro, I'd be taking the PCAT and applying out of state this next round. Look at the stats for the last admitted class at your schools of interest and shoot for a school that has an average entering GPA of no more than a couple of points above your own. And, get you list of extra-curricular items up, shadowing a pharmacist isn't quite the same as working in a pharmacy and the more aspects of the industry you experience the better.
P-)

Apply early! This will increase your chances of getting into a CA school (except UCSF and UCSD, both of which do not have rolling admission).

Don't all the California schools heavily favor Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, USC, and stanford graduates anyway? If you are not from one of those schools for your undergraduate and did not major in a science, it seems like you do not have much of a chance to get into any of the California schools, even if you had a 3.9 GPA, a PhD, and several publications.

You could try grade forgiveness at USN,

or apply to Midwestern-Glendale in Arizona.

I think those are your best chances.

All you guys have great advice. I knew I should have started research earlier on! I will definitely do that next year but I hope it's not too late to find one that is for only 3 quarters. It is kind of relieving that one of you still got in with the retakes. Also, it is true that I reallly want to stay in California, but as was said, my likelihood is slim so I guess I'm a tiny bit more inclined to looking out-of-state :( it wouldn't be too bad "expanding my horizons." It's just that I've lived here forever.

It sounds like the best thing to do, then, is to finish my BS and get my gpa up, as well as my extracurriculars. Right now I only have non-pharmacy related involvement to show for, hehe. I will seriously need to buckle down from now until June 2009 - so much for having a social calendar! And my 21st birthday is totally in October when I want to take the PCAT! OHwell.

Congratulations on being in the 99th percentile, AbsoluteEthanol.

cdpiano27- are those reallllly easy to get into or something?

Pharmacy schools are only getting more competitive every year, which is why I want to ask if there is ANY way I could have a good chance at a California pharmacy school (USC, Western, UCSF, UCSD, UOP, LLU, and Torro and possible a new one in norcal i heard somewhere?).

I am a junior, haven't finished all the pre-reqs, although I will be able to within my senior year while getting my B.S. in BioSci-medical biology. I need to take Anatomy & physiology series and speech during summer. Unfortunately, I got a C- in Microbiology and a C- in the first quarter of Physics, so I'll totally need to retake it just to get thru all the pre-reqs. As you can see, my grades aren't competitive (currently I have a cum. 2.9 since i sucked at entomology and the 2nd part of bch; my sci. gpa is 3.1) It's horrible, but I know that if I re-take the classes I got a C- in, my gpa will improve.

That brings up one of my questions - can I get into any of the schools with retakes?

Also, should I take a chance and apply this year for fall 2009? By then I will have my BS, and could start right away if I got in. If I get rejected, at least I tried and could do it again the following year with a better gpa and more LORs to choose from and more time to volunteer at a pharmacy (I've jobshadowed 2 pharmacists though). On a somewhat related note, in a kind of explanatory excuse for my shortcomings-my first job was at the Sweet Factory in a mall, which took a lot of time out of my hands for a whole year while I was taking biology and ochem =/ , so I don't have a lot of volunteer hours from the past 2 years -- only this year.

Anyways, I guess mymain concern is whether pharmacy schools will accept me although I have classes to re-take in order to fulfill pre.reqs, or not. I plan on having 3 really great LORs, by the way..Have 2 already, just need a professor from this quarter which hopefully I will have by June when the application period opens.

Sorry, one more thing if anyone can answer: CA schools don't require the PCAT, but have any of you taken them anyway since you had a low gpa?

this **** makes me mad...if you know CA pharm schools are competitive, why the F*CK didn't you take your education more seriously. Your low GPA, lack of volunteer experience, etc. is YOUR own fault. pharm school is not made for everyone, and definitely not someone like yourself. sorry. i know it sounds mean, but its true. all of us who worked hard HATE people like yourself who bitch and moan about getting bad grades when you control your own destiny. you can take some time to improve, but honestly COME ON, did you just freakin realize that it takes good grades to get into pharm school...what were you doing your whole life? grow up, stop working at candy stores and have someone change your ****ing diaper

my god

I've lived in SoCal for 14 years now and i'm very much afraid of leaving this place too but I have to do what it takes to obtain my PharmD. I feel that you never really know what's beyond your capacity if you don't take the initiative to go and explore.

You are still very young so the likelihood of waiting an extra year and built up your application is very much doable. I applied last year and didn't get into any school, only waitlisted. I didn't give up and applied again this year and all my hard work has definitely paid off. I got accepted to LLU and USN. Now, I have to decide which school to go to.

My other advice for you is to take the classes at a community college because it's so much easier and you can definitely get your GPA above 3.0. Most people might not agree with this but it's definitely a GPA puller.

To answer your question to cdpiano27, I wouldn't say that those are the easiest schools to get into. But what I can definitely tell you from my experience at USN is no letter of recommendations, no PCAT required whatsoever. However, they heavily emphasize on GPA. Most of the people who got accepted there have GPA in the 3.9-4.0 area. Like cdpiano27 said, USN does have academic forgiveness so you might have an advantage there. You can actually try to apply this year to USN and get some experiences.

this **** makes me mad...if you know CA pharm schools are competitive, why the F*CK didn't you take your education more seriously. Your low GPA, lack of volunteer experience, etc. is YOUR own fault. pharm school is not made for everyone, and definitely not someone like yourself. sorry. i know it sounds mean, but its true. all of us who worked hard HATE people like yourself who bitch and moan about getting bad grades when you control your own destiny. you can take some time to improve, but honestly COME ON, did you just freakin realize that it takes good grades to get into pharm school...what were you doing your whole life? grow up, stop working at candy stores and have someone change your ****ing diaper

my god

farmerjon,
I think that you are definitely out of line in this one. It's bad enough you make others feel bad, but bad-mouthing her is just wrong. Yes, we've all know that pharmacy is not for everyone and that people need to work very hard for it but if you don't know anything about their lives, then don't say anything. So what if she worked at a candy store, people need to make money to survive in this world. Money don't fall off trees you know. At least she worked hard and earn every dime of it. And we all know that you worked HARD for your education, but that attitude of yours really need to change when you're in this profession.:mad:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i was not trying to hurt the OPs feelings, making her cry would accomplish nothing. I am attempting to wake people up & let them know that you cant complain about things that YOU control. It is like making a sandwhich, saying it tastes bad but eating it anyways while complaining. It would be completely different it this post was by someone who just noticed a couple low grades & wanted to do something about it.

With that low of a GPA, the OP did not just make a mistake or suddenly realize that their grades were dropping...this is the result of something bigger, bad study habits, too much partying, completely ignoring schoolwork etc.

I have no problem with individuals who get low grades and then lower their expectations, but the OP is saying that they are trying to get into the competitive CA pharm schools...I mean, get real.

I doubt you would want this individual to organize a treatment plan for your sick grandmother. I sure as hell know I wouldnt.

I do not care if they had to work at a candy store....people work full time, even harder jobs, and still keep up a great gpa. its all about time management, dedication, and drive.

i am a passionate person who believes in wake up calls...we cant keep sugar coating everything to make people feel better about mistakes they could have easily, easily avoided. its just the truth, and it hurts

I don't think you can judge this person who is asking others for advice. What makes you so much better than this person? They may have a personal life that you could not even fathom.

For the person looking for help just retake some courses that you didn't do hot in. Call the admissions office to the soCal schools to see what other applicants did in your same situtaion. They are there to help and you don't need to state your name.

my god

my god

hahahahahahaha..bitter farmerjon? funny stuff.

to the original post'r, like u i kind of freaked out towards the end because i actually didn't even decide to do pharmacy school until july of the year i applied. a year is plenty of time to take care of business so don't worry. definitely explore the out of state possibility though. i applied to a lot of out of state schools cause i figured cali was a lost cause. luckily cali liked me but i would have had no problem going out of state. good luck.

Anyways, I guess my main concern is whether pharmacy schools will accept me although I have classes to re-take in order to fulfill pre.reqs, or not. I plan on having 3 really great LORs, by the way..Have 2 already, just need a professor from this quarter which hopefully I will have by June when the application period opens.

Don't apply. In my honest opinion, it'll be a waste of your money. Re-take the classes you need to and boost your GPA to at least 3.3. From experience, I feel that since CA schools don't require PCAT they look at your GPA heavily...and extracurricular activities don't seem to matter as much as everyone says they do. GPA is very important. Good luck!

Honestly, it's totally possible. I know people who have gotten into Touro with lower stats. The school seems to be getting a lot more competitive though. Also, UOP's website states that their average overall GPA of accepted students is a 3.4. It also states that students with GPAs as low as a 2.8 have been accepted in the past. I also have a friend with similar GPA stats that got accepted to Pacific Univ in Oregon. (Not too far from Cali.)

Re-take those courses first and then finish up your other courses. Try to raise your GPA as much as possible. Try to get your cumulative above 3.0 or 3.1. (Remember PharmCAS requires you to input all grades... even re-takes.)

I also think your application would stand out better if you had a lot more work experience. I would try to get a pharmacy clerk job or even possibly take the PTCE and work as a tech. Keep volunteering as well.

If I were you, I would apply to 2 to 3 California schools during this next cycle. (Maybe choose one or two that seem the least competitive and then choose your dream school.) The worst case scenario is that you're out $300-$350 for application fees. I think it's a good experience to go through the application process. If you happen to get an interview, that is great experience for the next application cycle. If you happen to get accepted, then that is great. Even if you don't get in, the whole experience will make the next go-around much less stressful and schools will be able to tell you exactly how to strengthen your application. The schools will also hopefully recognize your name and see your improvement, which also says something.

Good luck.

i was not trying to hurt the OPs feelings, making her cry would accomplish nothing. I am attempting to wake people up & let them know that you cant complain about things that YOU control. It is like making a sandwhich, saying it tastes bad but eating it anyways while complaining. It would be completely different it this post was by someone who just noticed a couple low grades & wanted to do something about it.

With that low of a GPA, the OP did not just make a mistake or suddenly realize that their grades were dropping...this is the result of something bigger, bad study habits, too much partying, completely ignoring schoolwork etc.

I have no problem with individuals who get low grades and then lower their expectations, but the OP is saying that they are trying to get into the competitive CA pharm schools...I mean, get real.

I doubt you would want this individual to organize a treatment plan for your sick grandmother. I sure as hell know I wouldnt.

I do not care if they had to work at a candy store....people work full time, even harder jobs, and still keep up a great gpa. its all about time management, dedication, and drive.

i am a passionate person who believes in wake up calls...we cant keep sugar coating everything to make people feel better about mistakes they could have easily, easily avoided. its just the truth, and it hurts

Hmm.. I do kind of appreciate your honesty, however I think you are wrong in assuming/implying that because I currently have this low gpa and that I wrote that I still want to get into a pharmacy school in CA means that I am lazy or did not want/do anything about my low grades. The grades that are keeping me down are not from very recent nor from every year if that is what you think, although they were, in fact, due to bad study habits. I have taken steps to fix that, and for the record, I am far from what is known as a party-person, more of a distracted-with-hobbies-type-of-person (I am very involved in music and the arts, which I now put less priority on vs. my actual career goals).

Most importantly, I did not intend nor will I ever ask anyone to sugar-coat anything for me to make me "feel better" about my mistakes. I was just asking for advice and not a response so filled with..hatred...but I see that it will not be coming from you anytime soon if ever.

Hmm.. I do kind of appreciate your honesty, however I think you are wrong in assuming/implying that because I currently have this low gpa and that I wrote that I still want to get into a pharmacy school in CA means that I am lazy or did not want/do anything about my low grades. The grades that are keeping me down are not from very recent nor from every year if that is what you think, although they were, in fact, due to bad study habits. I have taken steps to fix that, and for the record, I am far from what is known as a party-person, more of a distracted-with-hobbies-type-of-person (I am very involved in music and the arts, which I now put less priority on vs. my actual career goals).

Most importantly, I did not intend nor will I ever ask anyone to sugar-coat anything for me to make me "feel better" about my mistakes. I was just asking for advice and not a response so filled with..hatred...but I see that it will not be coming from you anytime soon if ever.

The response to your original question is this:

I have a 3.3, BS in biochem after this semester, lots of different EC's and I feel I have almost no chance in CA schools.

You have a good chance with UCSF even with your current GPA. No joke! They require a 2.8 minimum cumulative GPA and look for well-rounded, unique individuals who can demonstrate their passion and motivation for pharmacy.

You'll just have to write a stellar personal statement and explain your past academic performance.

While I hear stories of people getting into CA schools with less than stellar gpa's, i have yet to see it myself, and am led to believe it really is more of a exception to the rule.

UCSF/UCSD/ and some degree USC, either require stellar gpa or something that makes you really stand out if you don't have that stellar gpa. Unfortunately, many people who have mediocre grades tend to have mediocre everything else (I'm not saying mediocre is bad).

Anyways, there is no such thing as "not having a chance of getting in" witha borderline gpa in Cali, but the reality is you "may not have a great chance" of getting in or "very little chance" of getting in.

You have a good chance with UCSF even with your current GPA. No joke! They require a 2.8 minimum cumulative GPA and look for well-rounded, unique individuals who can demonstrate their passion and motivation for pharmacy.

You'll just have to write a stellar personal statement and explain your past academic performance.

I don't think his chances are solid. I'd say medium at best provided he has truly extraordinary EC's. All that regular volunteering, pharm club and such "typical" pre-pharm EC's just do not cut it when you grades are that low. Yes, UCSF school and other schools have interviewed and accepted people with such low GPA, but clearly it all the other areas of this applicants were quite amazing. My GPA was mediocre and EC's were average and I got straight rejections from both schools I applied to.

yes, miracles do happen. like i said, sometimes schools take a chance on people and make irrational... and frankly STUPID decisions to accept mediocre students, it's all about diversity. having said all that, you have to look at acceptances from a statistical viewpoint, and students with gpas of 2.8-3.3, statistically, don't have a shot in hell at getting into UCSD/UCSF/USC. Western and UOP are hard to read, it really depends on the application pool at that particular year, they really do vary greatly! UCSD/UCSF/USC get the absolute top pre-pharm students from all over the nations every single year.

The private schools don't seem to favor UC undergrads. I personally know people that graduated from UCLA with 3.2's (and pharmacy experience) that were rejected by USC, and someone from Cal State Long Beach with a 3.4 (and no pharmacy experience) that got in. It's subjective. I would say, go ahead and apply to the California schools you are interested in. If you get rejected this year, ask the ADCOMs what you can do to improve your application. Do them, and apply again next year. It seems reapplicants have better odds than first time applicants. So, even if you didn't apply this year and improved your grades you still might not get in. There are people with low GPA's that apply 4 times before getting accepted. Once they are in pharmacy school they are at the top of the class. Don't give up!

Any suggestion on which out-of-state schools those of us failed to get into CA schools should consider applying?

How do you see an application with a bare minimum GPA, no pharmacy extra curric, little pharmacy experience, good LORs(everyone thinks they have good LORs) as having a GOOD Chance???

I call BS on your "No joke" and say you don't know what you are talking about.

How do you see an application with a bare minimum GPA, no pharmacy extra curric, little pharmacy experience, good LORs(everyone thinks they have good LORs) as having a GOOD Chance???

i have a 300 times higher chance of scoring with pamela anderson AND carmen electra TONIGHT than the poster has at getting into UCSF.... NO JOKE!

p.s. harvard medical school doesn't have a minimum GPA cut off. how many people do you think got in with a 0.1 GPA?

What about that pharmacy school in Sacramento, CA Northstate, that is opening up? Hmmm, I think they're still trying to get their pre-accreditation right now, but last I heard they were really close. They've already interviewed and accepted their first incoming pharmacy class so it looks like this is a genuine pharmacy school. I would think that it would be an easier pharmacy school to get into because they just opened up. Anyway, yeah you should check into it.

What about that pharmacy school in Sacramento, CA Northstate, that is opening up? Hmmm, I think they're still trying to get their pre-accreditation right now, but last I heard they were really close. They've already interviewed and accepted their first incoming pharmacy class so it looks like this is a genuine pharmacy school. I would think that it would be an easier pharmacy school to get into because they just opened up. Anyway, yeah you should check into it.

yea...haha, this school is actually in my home town!!! my good friends and uncle (pharmacist at sutter cancer unit in sac) said their teachers and colleagues are teaching there...they have a good teaching squad and getting accredited may just be right around the corner...

replying to the earlier post about ppl failing to get into CA schools...i think if I were in your situation, I would def think about PCAT....I am cali resident, but I do plan on taking PCAT def...like many have said, you dont want to limit yourself to just CA...explore and expand your horizon! gl~

to OP, dont give up! try to get some work in a research lab and tell the PI that you want to do something that will really help the lab. any research experience is good and if you can get an abstract or pub EVEN better =]...if you have trouble looking for labs on campus, try talking to teachers from classes you did well in and got to know the professor. i am on a similar boat so, i'll be rooting for you! GL :D

Ca northstate hasn't even gotten "pre-accredited status" so getting accredited isn't "just right around the corner".

At this moment in time, CA Northstate is iffy. Students who are going to attend this upcoming term, know what the risks are. We'll see what happens in June/July with that school.

Anyway, If I was hardpressed to go to pharmacy school and that was the only school that accepted me then I probably would attend CA Northstate.

I am also in the low gpa group.. I need some advise on what to do next...as well.
My stats: undergrad GPA 2.9 at UCD, 3.2 from Junior college (quarter system) (a B.S in biotechnology)
breakdowns
general bio 6A, 6B, 6C(JC): B,B
General chem (JC)1A, 1B, 1C: A, B, C
Organic Chem(UCD) :C+, C, C
Biochemistry(UCD):C, B+
Genetic(UCD):C
Microbiology, Microbiology LAB(UCD):B+, B

need to take "Anatomy, physiology, and public speaking"
I've been working in a lab @ a pharmaceutical company and I feel I am stucked. The science field just isn't as promising as it is portraited in the media (the biotech buzz).
My plan is to take the PTCB pharm tech exam and start working in a retail.
What classes should I retake?
If I retake i can't retake them at UCD simply because I've graduated already, it's just too much trouble to move there and etc.....
Is it really necessary to retake those classes I got Cs from UCD at a junior college? Does retaking them at a different college really help my application?
For PCAT, how hard is it? I have to be honest that I took my gen chem and bio in 2002 and I've forgotten almost everything. for O CHEM, biochem and molecular bio you can see that I didn't really learn anything.
what should be my PCAT strategy? should I study by my self for a year or should I go ahead and use the kaplan program?
thank you guys so much.

I am also in the low gpa group.. I need some advise on what to do next...as well.
My stats: undergrad GPA 2.9 at UCD, 3.2 from Junior college (quarter system) (a B.S in biotechnology)
breakdowns
general bio 6A, 6B, 6C(JC): B,B
General chem (JC)1A, 1B, 1C: A, B, C
Organic Chem(UCD) :C+, C, C
Biochemistry(UCD):C, B+
Genetic(UCD):C
Microbiology, Microbiology LAB(UCD):B+, B

need to take "Anatomy, physiology, and public speaking"
I've been working in a lab @ a pharmaceutical company and I feel I am stucked. The science field just isn't as promising as it is portraited in the media (the biotech buzz).
My plan is to take the PTCB pharm tech exam and start working in a retail.
What classes should I retake?
If I retake i can't retake them at UCD simply because I've graduated already, it's just too much trouble to move there and etc.....
Is it really necessary to retake those classes I got Cs from UCD at a junior college? Does retaking them at a different college really help my application?
For PCAT, how hard is it? I have to be honest that I took my gen chem and bio in 2002 and I've forgotten almost everything. for O CHEM, biochem and molecular bio you can see that I didn't really learn anything.
what should be my PCAT strategy? should I study by my self for a year or should I go ahead and use the kaplan program?
thank you guys so much.

iam in your boat RIGHT NOW...i am trying to take anatomy and phys at sac city but dude....so many ppl have signed up for classes already...since iam graduating in june as well from ucsd, i tried to sign up for anatomy, pub speaking, econ, but its full too....so the only choice if you sign up now is to take anatomy at Folsom lake community college...which is what I may have to do...shall we form a study group now? haha

If you have motivation and dedication, studying by yourself should be no problem. If you have trouble focusing then the kaplan class would be right for you. I am studying to take the PTCE in the august to sept time frame as well....i think we have the same plan? lol msg me on AIM! we can keep each other motivated haha-- good luck

Don't all the California schools heavily favor Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, USC, and stanford graduates anyway? If you are not from one of those schools for your undergraduate and did not major in a science, it seems like you do not have much of a chance to get into any of the California schools, even if you had a 3.9 GPA, a PhD, and several publications.

I would have to disagree with that...I just graduated from UCSB with a 3.85 and lots of ECs and got accepted to UCSF. I think the adcoms favor UC schools because they know the curriculum will prepare you for pharm school. However, most UCSF students tend to be from Cal and UCLA, but my guess it cuz they are the most competitive (ie - best stats and most ecs)

yea...haha, this school is actually in my home town!!! my good friends and uncle (pharmacist at sutter cancer unit in sac) said their teachers and colleagues are teaching there...they have a good teaching squad and getting accredited may just be right around the corner...

replying to the earlier post about ppl failing to get into CA schools...i think if I were in your situation, I would def think about PCAT....I am cali resident, but I do plan on taking PCAT def...like many have said, you dont want to limit yourself to just CA...explore and expand your horizon! gl~

to OP, dont give up! try to get some work in a research lab and tell the PI that you want to do something that will really help the lab. any research experience is good and if you can get an abstract or pub EVEN better =]...if you have trouble looking for labs on campus, try talking to teachers from classes you did well in and got to know the professor. i am on a similar boat so, I'll be rooting for you! GL :D

Thanks for the advice. This quarter is looking better for me, and my professors are very open and especially friendly to students for a change! And yes, I'm going to e-mail the professors I earned A's from.

Everyone else's posts are helping me scope out my options before I make any decisions, too. I am not afraid of rejection; I'd rather try and learn about the process by doing it this year, so I think my plan is to apply early in June - regardless of the [expected] outcome. I've got nothing to lose but money,which I am willing and able to lose anyway! Originally I figured most, if not all, of the CA pharmacy schools are impossible at the moment in my situation, however I feel that next year it will change. At the same time, though, I see that I should equally consider out-of-state schools.

I was simply stating the OP can apply to UCSF with his current GPA because UCSF looks for well-rounded, unique individuals. Did you miss that part?

Being well-rounded means he has a strong and steady commitment to the EC's he's involved with, excellent PS and LORs. Uniqueness comes from his background and situation. Both areas may help him land an interview. Unlike most CA schools, UCSF looks for the whole package. In fact, they have accepted students with an 2.9 cumulative/science GPAs in the past.

I do know what I'm talking about as I have peruse the UCSF SOP website and have applied to & interviewed at UCSF this year...did you?

I was simply stating the OP can apply to UCSF with his current GPA because UCSF looks for well-rounded, unique individuals. Did you miss that part?

Being well-rounded means he has a strong and steady commitment to the EC's he's involved with, excellent PS and LORs. Uniqueness comes from his background and situation. Both areas may help him land an interview. Unlike most CA schools, UCSF looks for the whole package. In fact, they have accepted students with an 2.9 cumulative/science GPAs in the past.

I do know what I'm talking about as I have peruse the UCSF SOP website and have applied to & interviewed at UCSF this year...did you?

This is a real question that is not meant to offend or pick on you in anyway:
Would you care to share what is it about your application that made you stand out against other applicants ?

The reason why I am asking is because I am feeling very bitter about my rejection considering that I have a 3.3 GPA,very cool research in the area of analytical biochem + teaching/tutoring experience, regular pre-pharm and a bunch of rounded EC's: worked with orphanage kids, with peace corps volunteers, volunteered at the hospital/clinic/dental office here in the city, volunteered as an English interpreter for elderly citizens in a Russian community, founded an English club back in my home country, the only one at a time in my city where people could practice/learn English, organized concerts with all profits going to charity because I have a musical education. So I am genuinely wondering what is it about my application that sucked so much that applicants with 2.8, 2.9 GPA had such greater advantage over me.

Having been interviewed at UCSF, what do you suggest I do to improve my application ? Should I just accept that I am a loser = not unique enough for UCSF or is there anything you can think that would help me appear more rounded ? At this point I would do ANYTHING regardless of cost/effort to be be considered for admission.

This is a real question that is not meant to offend or pick on you in anyway:
Would you care to share what is it about your application that made you stand out against other applicants ?

The reason why I am asking is because I am feeling very bitter about my rejection considering that I have a 3.3 GPA,very cool research in the area of analytical biochem + teaching/tutoring experience, regular pre-pharm and a bunch of rounded EC's: worked with orphanage kids, with peace corps volunteers, volunteered at the hospital/clinic/dental office here in the city, volunteered as an English interpreter for elderly citizens in a Russian community, founded an English club back in my home country, the only one at a time in my city where people could practice/learn English, organized concerts with all profits going to charity because I have a musical education. So I am genuinely wondering what is it about my application that sucked so much that applicants with 2.8, 2.9 GPA had such greater advantage over me.

Having been interviewed at UCSF, what do you suggest I do to improve my application ? Should I just accept that I am a loser = not unique enough for UCSF or is there anything you can think that would help me appear more rounded ? At this point I would do ANYTHING regardless of cost/effort to be be considered for admission.

FYI - http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/aboutstudents/

To Cheb, I'd be happy to share with you my application/interview experience. I wrote this lengthy response and my computer froze. I'm going to condense it this time around.

Application-wise, you can stand out by submitting a strong, personable and interesting personal statement that demonstrates your uniqueness. My path to pharmacy is unconventional-I didn't apply directly to pharmacy school after undergrad. I wrote how my non-traditional background, prior professional corporate experience and personal qualities - compassion, maturity, etc. will add and enrich my educational experience at UCSF.

Interview-wise, I sort of had a hunch my interviewers would not be interested in some of the "common" EC's I've done. I was an O-Chem and adult literacy tutor, peer-advisor for an academic enrichment program targeted towards minority students, a pharmacy clerk and an in-patient pharmacy volunteer and did an MRSA clinical research at a different hospital. All these activities spanned between 1.5-2.5 years. I have demonstrated a strong and steady commitment to each of these EC's. As a result, I wanted to assure my interviewers that my decision to pursue pharmacy wasn't on a whim. Hopefully, I was able to convince them that my commitment to the pharmacy profession would equate to my commitment to my EC's.

Sure enough, the faculty interviewer asked me about my participation in mission trips outside of the US. The goal of the organization is to provide accessible, quality health-care to the underserved communities. After sharing my volunteer experience, I discussed my intention to use those experiences and passion for free clinics and healthcare accessibility to enrich my educational experience at UCSF and inspire others to give back to their community. Despite being the the nation's best pharmacy school, UCSF is committed to providing public health-care services both local (in the bay area) and worldwide.

I've communicated with a few future P1 UCSF students and I have really nothing to brag about compared to these folks. They really are unique individuals. I am currently waitlisted at UCSF so I don't know if my advice helps you any.

I know you have your heart set on UCSF, but if you decide on applying to USC and interview there, try your best to stand out. I was interviewed at USC for their last interview date and during the information session, Jim Granderson requests us to introduce ourselves by stating our first and last name, undergraduate school and major. Other than 1 other individual and myself, everyone was a biology, biochem, or chemistry major primarily from a UC. Be unique in a positive way.

Although I wasn't entirely successful at UCSF, I shared with my interviewers what I wrote above at Touro, USC and Western and was admitted to all 3 schools.

Good luck!

Your GPA is higher than mine, and its quite sad to accept the truth.
I'm attending UC Davis right now in biochemistry, but planning to switch to Biotechnology with focus in bioinformatics. Very true that my grades are horrible, but I'm hoping pharm schools would look at more than that...
Freshman year, I worked as research assistant. Sophomore year, again as a research assistant at another lab. Summer now, I'm working for the student health center. My lab experience on my resume should not be too shabby, just don't have the grades.

guess the question for me is...
will pharm schools look at my resume and consider work experience?
if anyone would like to, i would be happy to post my resume

i know i'm probably going to get blown out of the water for saying this but..... why are you guys losing sleep over going to a pharmacy school in California? There really are only 2 good schools here. UCSF is a dreamschool, really cheap and truly world renouned, no arguments there. The other good school here in CA is USC, okay, decent school, top 30... but for 50+grand per year, wouldn't you rather go somewhere else? Perhaps even a school that is nationally ranked higher and CHEAPER?

Why are some of you desperate enough to go to CA Northstate? It hasnt received any kind of acreditation, so all your school loans have to be private loans, with huge interest rates 15-20-25-30 percent even! And to top it all off, there's no guarantee that this school will continue to exist in 2-4 years...

Why not study for the PCAT? Take it from me, someone who absolutely NAILED it, it's easier than you think. One summer of hard studying almost guarantees you a 90+... I think a lot of you really need to broaden your horizons! I was in your boat last year, low GPA (by CA standards), so I buckled down, raped the PCAT and got accepted to a top 5-7th school in the nation! Sure it's out of state and far from home, but it's an amazing school in a wonderful city and I'll be getting a dual degree! come on people, think outside the box!

i know i'm probably going to get blown out of the water for saying this but..... why are you guys losing sleep over going to a pharmacy school in California? There really are only 2 good schools here. UCSF is a dreamschool, really cheap and truly world renouned, no arguments there. The other good school here in CA is USC, okay, decent school, top 30... but for 50+grand per year, wouldn't you rather go somewhere else? Perhaps even a school that is nationally ranked higher and CHEAPER?

Why are some of you desperate enough to go to CA Northstate? It hasnt received any kind of acreditation, so all your school loans have to be private loans, with huge interest rates 15-20-25-30 percent even! And to top it all off, there's no guarantee that this school will continue to exist in 2-4 years...

Why not study for the PCAT? Take it from me, someone who absolutely NAILED it, it's easier than you think. One summer of hard studying almost guarantees you a 90+... I think a lot of you really need to broaden your horizons! I was in your boat last year, low GPA (by CA standards), so I buckled down, raped the PCAT and got accepted to a top 5-7th school in the nation! Sure it's out of state and far from home, but it's an amazing school in a wonderful city and I'll be getting a dual degree! come on people, think outside the box!
For once, I agree with you.

But the weather is the best here, everyone I know is in California, and I'll get homesick!!

JK. I'm not that needy. Absolute ethanol's post actually makes a lot of sense. Is it really cheaper though - when you count living costs and stuff? Can a pharmacy student live solely off his/her loans?

...then again, the cost of living in CA is ranked one of the highest in the usa. Anyway, if anyone knows about my second question, please let me know.

But the weather is the best here, everyone I know is in California, and I'll get homesick!!

JK. I'm not that needy. Absolute ethanol's post actually makes a lot of sense. Is it really cheaper though - when you count living costs and stuff? Can a pharmacy student live solely off his/her loans?

...then again, the cost of living in CA is ranked one of the highest in the usa. Anyway, if anyone knows about my second question, please let me know.

Oh yeah, the weather is so unbelievably great in san francisco and stockton.... not to mention the fact that Stockton is a world-class city. I hope you picked up on my sarcasm! lol

Let me provide you with an example of what my expenses are like: my tuition is 25 Grand per year (will be 15 when i get my Maryland residency, hopefully next year). Cost of living is very variable, but I calculated that with books, supplies, and living expenses, I'll require another 15 grand. that's a total of 40 grand per year, for one of the top schools in the nation... and i'll be getting an MBA too. Now, compare that with, UOP or Western or even USC! Tuition ALONE is in the mid 40's. Add books, supplies, and yes living expenses ARE higher in California and you're looking at 60g PER YEAR! and for what? for the weather? high gas prices? it's definitely not for quality of education!