Low GPA Chances????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enzyme93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone could give a personal story, or perhaps a story about someone they knew, that was accepted to an MD program with a 3.0-3.2 gpa. Does anyone know of such a thing happening?

Members don't see this ad.

EDIT: Saw your previous WAMC thread about getting a 40 on the MCAT(congrats!) so I revised my post. It would probably be a better use of one's time and energy to raise your GPA rather than try to mimic what the few outliers did to get accepted. A high MCAT and low GPA combo sometimes tell a narrative of "high intellect, but academically lazy". Improving your GPA would counter that narrative. You have a reason for performing poorly and presenting it clearly on your application may help.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT: Saw your previous WAMC thread about getting a 40 on the MCAT(congrats!) so I revised my post. It would probably be a better use of one's time and energy to raise your GPA rather than try to mimic what the few outliers did to get accepted. A high MCAT and low GPA combo sometimes tell a narrative of "high intellect, but academically lazy". Improving your GPA would counter that narrative. You have a reason for performing poorly and presenting it clearly on your application may help.

Sorry for the late reply! I don't really want to wait an entire year before applying. As of right now, my gpa will be closer to 3.1 by the end of this semester. Do you think it's appropriate to use my personal statement to explain my circumstances?

Depends on how good your circumstances are.

Also, tbh, I'm not sure how 'complete' your application is, but if you don't have your LORs and PS mostly all figured out by this point, I'd say you're likely to be behind the ball for this year's cycle. Reason being, because your gpa is low (not that you cannot get in), you're going to be best served applying early. June is around the corner and youre also still in school. And, are you graduating too? (thats a lot going on) I don't think your numbers give you the luxury to apply 'when you feel like it'. So, while you might complain of not wanting to wait an entire year, do realize that your app can only get better, and put you at better odds with schools.

Also, I'd like to think that you can offset some of the gpa issues that give the impression of 'academically lazy' by working and showing that you can still remain professional. That might be another way around it too.

Sorry for the late reply! I don't really want to wait an entire year before applying. As of right now, my gpa will be closer to 3.1 by the end of this semester. Do you think it's appropriate to use my personal statement to explain my circumstances?
In my opinion, personal statements are not the place to draw attention to a weakness in an application. Your personal statement is for describing you and why you want to be a physician. Most secondaries have space where you can address a discrepancy or have an open ended question about anything you want admissions to know.