About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Low GPA, DECENT MCAT, ADHD..!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by pthingsforward, May 28, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. pthingsforward

pthingsforward

Academic Administration

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Ok Long Post Warning:

Stat Line: 2.6 GPA (science and core) MCAT: 28 Q (10, 9, 9)

I was diagnosed with ADHD at age 7 but my parents opted against treatment mostly due to lack of education of the subject mater (father was first in the family to receive formal education, while my mother is uneducated). After graduating college my father informed me of the event when attempting to explain my lack of study habits throughout undergrad. This lead me to a formal diagnoses and subsequent treatment. Since then it's been a lot better and I have been able to function a lot better in many aspects of my life. Essentially, I have been told by many people in my life that I was not cut out for school and before I definitely wasn't, but I feel with the advancements in diagnosis and medicine I have been given a chance. I know this is controversial subject mater and but I ask please not to troll the thread with that debate. I networked with a practicing physician with diagnosed ADHD and his personal opinion was to include this in my PS, which I am very hesitant to do.

My low science gpa is due to a butchered ug which consisted of a lot of C's and a few D's. I have had a few retakes and noteable grades (A's and B's) in all the prerequisite courses (O-chem's, physics, biochem). I am currently looking at only DO schools since this is my best route. I have enough shadowing and EC's and tons of volunteer hours. My LOR's are at least solid if not above average. My GPA over the last year is 3.5+ (with O-chems and Physics).

I am currently on a wait list at a DO SMP which seems like an option, but a stretch at this point too. What is the best option here? I am thinking about sending a second PS and another LOR? but the subject mater of those I am not sure about.

I plan on retaking the MCAT mid July and hope to up the score by a few points, since I didn't study too much for the 28. This would set me up to apply for this cycle both to DO schools and SMP's. Lastly, I will take classes this fall and spring to increase that GPA northward so if I am to attend anywhere fall 2013 it would better stat line wise.
  2. tenndoc

tenndoc bringer of sarcasm

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    you are a long shot for school with that GPA. you'll need to either get it up or have a stellar mcat... as in mid 30's. might be doable now that you are in treatment. but idk

and don't try to use ADHD as an excuse. i have it too as the majority of the college population. you should have talked to a dr in college when you had issues focusing.
  3. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Removed

SDN 2+ Year Member
    0% Chance with a 2.6.
  4. FrkyBgStok

FrkyBgStok DMU c/o 2016

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    don't waste your time retaking the mcat. for DO schools, it is great. the problem is the 2.6. You need to spend a year or two retaking classes to get your gpa above a 3.0, preferrably close to a 3.2. Retaking the mcat and getting a 32 still isn't going to get schools to look past the 2.6, so it is largely a waste.
  5. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    I wouldn't include the ADHD in your PS. Take responsibility for your GPA rather than throwing in an excuse for it. I had family problems and a couple of deaths in the family as reasons why my GPA sucked (also because I was lazy), but those don't make it into my PS.
  6. slyfox

slyfox

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This
  7. Goro

Goro

Non-Student
    Faculty SDN 2+ Year Member
    Concur strongly.

8. Temperature101

Temperature101

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Get your GPAs to 3.0+ and you will be OK for DO.
  9. CardiologyJosh

CardiologyJosh

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Regarding this: I have ADD and intend to use it in my PS. The thing is, do not use it as a mask to hide behind. Use it to discuss/demonstrate how it is an obstacle you have championed over (by taking more classes, and bringing that gpa up,) and that despite your previous struggles, you now have the skills necessary to manage your disorder and that it is no longer a barrier to your academics and thusly your career potential.
    R_e_lMed likes this.
  10. sotto voce

sotto voce

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If you're URM you're good to go a Top 20 but otherwise you have a few years of retakes ahead of you. Good luck!
  11. FrkyBgStok

FrkyBgStok DMU c/o 2016

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    i would be very cautious about mentioning ADD or ADHD in your PS. There are tons of people that I know of personally that went to a physician and faked the symptoms. Adderall is a big problem nationwide and has become a junkies drug. I am not implying you guys are like this, but people are and adcoms aren't stupid about it. it would suck to even be slightly looked at as legal junkie. it is your call, but i would never recommend someone mentioning ADD/ADHD in their PS. At least not directly.
  12. CardiologyJosh

CardiologyJosh

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    'learning disorder' is sufficient to write in the PS; if there are questions regarding the nature or authenticity, It would probably come up during the interview, right?
  13. tenndoc

tenndoc bringer of sarcasm

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This. There are rumors about me that I only did so well in my classes because of my medication. jealous premeds started the rumors and I just laugh them off. Not the rep you want though
  14. CardiologyJosh

CardiologyJosh

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Then it must be a school by school or community by community basis; I was very open about my learning disorder- friends, professors, girlfriends- everyone knew. I seldom received flack, and when I did, an ample dose of indignation would promptly silence my adversaries, who again, were few and far between.
  15. R_e_lMed

R_e_lMed

Pre-Medical
    @CardiologyJosh I agree. I have ADHD as well and also plan on discussing it in my personal statement. I suggest possibly addressing your condition from a point of strength rather than a point of weakness. Try hi-lighting your strengths, growing moments, epiphanies you may had and the overall positives of you and how you relate to your condition in general.

It's not that people with learning "disabilities" are less capable of learning, we just learn differently. This can be a good quality to have depending on the situation you're in because it can provide you with insight to things that most other folks wouldn't have been able to see.

Just a side note: Learning "disabilities" are stigmatized primarily because of the history of abuse that is associated with it... Mainly by people who falsely claim to have the disability in order to achieve some type of competitive edge. Or also, like CardiologyJosh mentioned, use it as a mask to hide behind. It's unfortunate how negatives tend to outshine positives, but you don't have to let those negatives outshine your story.
  16. masaraksh

masaraksh

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I always thought ADD was more fiction than a real disease. At the very least it is almost definitely a grey area. See :http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...tention-deficit-disorder-epidemic-real-or-fad

Either way, obviously medical issues can significantly impact academic performance and I think its completely fair to describe them as a hurdle that you faced. An issue like ADD is something I wouldn't talk about though for the same reasons as previous posters.